cast manifold vs tubular mani

Paul20

any input would be appreciated. is the cast manifold anymore likely to crack than a tubular manifold and at what power is a tubular mani recomended to be fitted?
cheers

JIMMYBACK

dont bother unless you going for 450bhp plus....the cast mani to my knowledge has never cracked like the tubular ones do save your money

Paul20

the manifolds ive seen on the market do seem to be a bit pricey and i personaly cant see the point in fitting one unless its for realy big power and better flow. i am thinking of making a gt3071r fit as they seem to give good results

JIMMYBACK

they fit but they only just clear the gearbox casing by about 2-3mm
just enough to silcone hose on the inlet

Paul20

i suppose the clearance is dependant to what size intake you go for. is there a preferred intake size eg 2.75" or 3". is there any pros and cons with either?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've had an exhaust housing crack on my last car, but that was through running too much boost. So I'd imagine if a cast housing can crack (reasonably common on turbos) then a cast manifold could crack, but there are no where near as common as tubular manifolds cracking, so don't worry about it.;-)

Fire & skill

Vintage member
awd pulsar still used a cast manifold to do his 10.9 1/4

that doesnt mean its any good! :lol: they are highly restrictive

ashills

Fire & skill said:
awd pulsar still used a cast manifold to do his 10.9 1/4

that doesnt mean its any good! :lol: they are highly restrictive

cant be that highly restrictive if its still perfectly useable at 450bhp
tubular manifolds are for tarts lol or for putting turbos in silly places like kieron is LOL