Carbon canister and fast idle ?

A

AJ4

I scrapped all that carbon canister crap the other day, and noticed that there seemed to be a straight air path from atmosphere to the intake pipe.

Not sure if its meant to be like that or not, but what a pile of crap :D

Might be of interest to anyone suffering fast idle, if their canister is fecked its just a big air leak.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
Ross

Exactly what did you remove, because I'd like to do this when I have the engine out next week.

Steve

A

AJ4

I removed the carbon canistor and all the associated pipework.

There is a hose on the bottom of the can which is just clipped to the bodywork so is open to air, a vacuum hose that comes from the inlet to operate the diaphram and another couple of pipes, one that connects to the inlet and the other is the return to the fuel tank.

For the fuel tank one I disconnected the hose at the bulkhead next to the other main fuel lines and just added a short hose at the back by the fuel tank so it now just vents to atmosphere.

That was it really, a couple of the hoses I just looped together ( for now ) and used one of the hoses to tidy up my existing boost plumbing ( just removed my water injection so it worked out quite well ).

JIMMYBACK

well i asked this question a little while ago and i didnt get any good answers and piccys/diagrams? as my idle is completley fcuked now even thou i re connected the bloody thing

A

AJ4

I was a bit bemused by the pipe on the bottom of it to be honest, it just seems to clipped to the inner wing and is completely open. I dont know why, maybe the diaphram wasn't shutting right or something, but there was a clear path between that bottom hose and the pipe that went to the intake :(

I did think about taking some pics but there was nothing to see really... I couldn't see exactly where the pipes on the manifold went, one went to the side of the throttle body, near the TPS and the other went to the air box on the back of the plenum ( the one with all the vac pipes on it ). You just have to loop together or block those two pipes, remove the bottom one thats clipped to the inner wing, and remove the one that goes to the pipe on the firewall ( that goes back to the tank ). Like I said above, I just put a small length of pipe at the fuel tank end to vent it to atmosphere, otherwise the fuel vapour would have been vented via that pipe into the engine bay :D

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
AJ4 said:
Like I said above, I just put a small length of pipe at the fuel tank end to vent it to atmosphere, otherwise the fuel vapour would have been vented via that pipe into the engine bay :D
The previous owner of my car removed all this for me but did leave a few air leaks :doh: that I've since sussed and fixed.

For the fuel vapour pipe, they just shoved a cheap fuel filter on the end that vents to atmosphere in the engine bay. Though it sounds dangerous/wrong, I've not noticed any ill effects in 4 years of ownership. Taking it back does sound like a neater solution.

youngsyp

More things to bin ! :D

Not meaning to hijack this thread but Steve (Pudney), could you source bungs/caps for these now redundant pipes, from the supplier who you sourced the throttle body caps from ?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I will have my engine out in the next week or so and I'll be able to look at all the pipes then. Once I know what I'm dealing with, yes I would have thought I can get these bung/caps no problem.

ChrisS

stevepudney said:
I will have my engine out in the next week or so and I'll be able to look at all the pipes then. Once I know what I'm dealing with, yes I would have thought I can get these bung/caps no problem.
If you are doing doing this steve could you take some pics of the pipes ect whilst your doing it?

peterkiwi

Fairly sure the pipe which is open to air is actually just a condensation drain. The canister as i under stand it gathers fuel vapours when the car is not running and then burns them when engine running, somehow condensation gathers. But hell yer get rid of it!!!!

stumo

the canister collects fuel vapour and (the vapour) is sucked into the manifold to get burnt off.

The hole in the canister should be pretty small (can't remember the size).

A

AJ4

peterkiwi said:
Fairly sure the pipe which is open to air is actually just a condensation drain.
yup, never thought of that, makes perfect sense the way its plumbed in, because it does cack all else ! :D Mine was definately knacked then.