Car wont start, not battery.......

S

seven

Car has been off the road for a week or so due to another problem. When I tried it wouldnt start. Fair enough - thought it would be the battery. Bought a new one today fitted it,and it still won't start? Any ideas what else this could be?

Thanks

djdoc360

what is the other problem? if it's cranking, i might be fuel/spark related. if its not cranking, check the starter motor. you did't have any internal engine failure did you? i had a motor seezed on me due to a #1 bearing melting on the crankshaft. use a breaker bar with a 24(i think)mm socket in the main pully.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
what was the other problem?

this could be anything really - fuel pump, fuel pump relay, immob, spark plugs etc etc

S

seven

Thanks guy's. The car is turning over. Ther other problem is the gearbox (wont go into reverse). Only got a new fuel pump 10 months ago. I'm not that knowledgable with cars, what would cause the spark plugs to fail and I take it if they have the car will turn but not start?
Cheers

S

seven

Fault code 34 :-( but that wouldn't stop the car from starting would it?

Braveheart

Oh my... how do you start to explaine the fundamentals... puff, bang, squeeze, blow... with a spark between squeeze and blow. Let alone a fuel injected turbo with complicated ECU. Always good to have a spare battery though.
I miss my red top astra... pure simplicity.
BTW, for it to be parked for a week or more is simply parking for most here. lol

Mr GTiR

Check basic fuel and spark.

Make sure the fuel pump is buzzing when the ignition is switched on. Also another test is to take the feed off the fuel line just before entering the fpr and put it into an empty bottle. Switch your ingition on and see if it spits some fuel into the bottle.

Also, take your spark plugs out and inspect them. If they look ok the plug one into a ht lead then put it cole to a metal object so that the tip of the spark plug is about 2/3 mm away. Get someone to watch the spark plug you crank the car. You should see a blue spark jump from the tip of the spark plug to the metal. This tells you if it's sparking ok.

If all that fails then text another dizzy as mine packed up while i had my engine rebuilt. It just sat in the boot for a few months and would not work once the engine was refitted. Strange i know but it just stoped working.

Braveheart

seven said:
Fault code 34 :-( but that wouldn't stop the car from starting would it?
Hmmm... If it's been on code 34, then your ign timing has been retarded and the engine was running rich with fuel. The plugs will be sooted up and your mpg would have been **** poor.

S

seven

Thanks Andy Tried the spark plugs/leads and there is a flash cominf from each one. When I switch the ignition on I can hear the pump for a second or two. Need to try the fule line thing next. Is there a chance it could be the alarm system?

S

seven

Another quick update - Took the fuel line off and when I turned the ignition fuel pumped into the empty bottle for a second or so, so I guess the fuel pump is all ok?