Cant lock up brakes!

J

JamesB

Ive only just got my R and have only taken it for a couple spins but even with both feet on the brake pedal - I cant get the wheels even close to locking. It pulls up reasonably hard but thought i should be able to lock them to try the ABS out. Ideas anyone - its just been through compliance so it should have new fluid in it... :?

G

gotoinstant-redline

what tyres have you got on it? they might have loads of grip and not allow the wheels to lock on the road surface. try it with some leaves on the (line) road, this makes it much easier to lose it ;)

get some speed up too. like 40+mph then stand on em!! but make sure you have enough run off, just in case.

are the pads ok? are the discs ok? are the rubber pipes in a good state?

L.

A

AZ STE

Has it got standard discs on :?: if it has then your lucky its stopping never mind locking up :shock:

S

Sunny Nutter

would the fact that they are 4 wheel drive make it near impossible to lock up the wheels anyway?
your braking with the front wheels (mostly!!!)
but you still have the rear wheels turning essentially pushing the tranmission and therefore the the front wheels too!
does this make sense to anyone else or is it all bollox? :?

G

gotoinstant-redline

on wet roads and roads covered with leaves, i have managed to lock mine up a few times. not sure if my abs is in 100% working order so this may account for it..

but if you dump the clutch so as to take the engine braking off the drive train, then stamp the brakes. i think it should lock the fronts then the rears will follow very soon after. this is because that the brakes are man enough (or should be) to stop the car when its doing 130+mph and so doing 40+ with no engine input should be enought to stop the fronts.. and the rears wont have enough 'push' left in them to start turning the fronts again. i dont think anyway..

my last car was also 4x4 and i could lock the brakes on that. this they standard brakes on an alfa 33 perm 4 are every bit as bad as the ones on the R.. i seem to have a thing for rare, 4wd cars with shit brakes and gearboxes... tut tut..

L.

A

AZ STE

Ive locked mine up on wet roads but its not a good idea as the ABS shakes the car badly rather not have it. Doesnt really help at all that ive found

G

gotoinstant-redline

i've got abs. but its pants compared to the more modern cars that i drive day in day out.. almera, focus, megan etc etc.. all have better abs than the R..

was thinking of taking it out for weight saving :)

L.

J

J-GTi-R

Locking up the fronts? You should try my Wilwoods, they'll beat the ABS at 100mph and lock up the fronts even with the clutch up (scared the feck out of me the first time I did it).

I'd prefer not to have ABS too, it's not very good, cuts in too early and is a nightmare when the road is really slippery (I know I could brake better myself, rather than have the bloody pedal clicking away uselessly).

turblio

Well, my ABS is fine in the wet or dry but if you want to test it
get on some grass and just hit your brakes it should work then
but if you disconnect the abs relay/fuse and then use the brakes there is
much more control over the pressure and pedal :wink:
Frank

G

GTI-R Kid

I have ABS and i've managed to lock up the wheels on grass, mud, ice, snow and wet leaves.

ABS one day when a truck pulled straight across in front of me while i was travelling at 70, but i don't know whether i liked it or not as there was too much panic at the time to notice. :shock:

GINGA

Mine works fine, well to well I think :evil: hit the brakes hard and it unloads the rears so much they start locking then the abs cuts in :cry:
Note to self must get suspension sorted out :oops:

J

JamesB

I might try out the grass idea - ive heard giving abs a work-out on a slippery surface actually makes them learn (fuzzy logic style). I've only heard bad stuff about the brakes on the R's - this hasn't exactly been reasuring either :roll: