Cam cover and throttle cable mount question!

P

PrimeraRacer

ayup got a question for ya!

I've seen some people with R's who have mounted a primera Cam cover as its much smoother, this is usually when they have moved the intercooler to front mount.

question is.........

has anyone here done it and if so where have you mounted the throttle cable...... do you have any pictures or anything??

also, which primera did the cover come from, was it a P10 (90-96) or a P11 (96 - 99)

Thanks in advance!!

Kev

C

chrislloydus

Hello,

I think i was one of the first to do this quite a few years back so someone may have a better way of doing it now.
I took the cam cover from a 1993 Primera GT, with the SR20DE engine. This has the advantage of the breathers being in the same place as the GTiR cam cover.
I made a bracket that had an L shape at one end to bolt to one of the bolts on the cam cover, then it went straight up and the throttle linkage bolted through it. Then it bent towards the back of the car and mounted using one of the bolts from the fuel rail. With a fixing at the top and the bottom i never had any problems with flex or anything. Easier to see when you look at the engine as the fixings are pretty much in a straight line. I even drilled a small hole to accept the clip on the wiring thats in that area, i think its parts of the injector harness from memory ? Tidied the area up.
I made the whole thing out of aluminium sheet as its really easy to work with. I made a template out of a cornflake box first as this saves loads of time ! Im no engineer, but i knocked it up in a morning, its not that involved.
Ive only got one (bad) pic of the top of the bracket, but you might get an idea.

P

PrimeraRacer

Many thanks for that, very informative!

only other question, I take it the covers are identical near enough so did you use the existing GTI-R cam cover gasket? I've got a new one to go on but just wanted to check its ok or would a primera one fit any better!

Thanks
Kev

C

chrislloydus

They are near enough identical, and I reused the GTiR cam cover gasket with no problems.