Calling all tuners. Timing on our motors.

G

GTIRoids

Got a question peeps. I asked this question on another board also so some of you may have already read this.
What's the most advanced timing that can be run on the 54C motor? I ask because the dyno shop would not go above 16*. Is that too low? How much can I run on pump gas? Race Gas (110 oct)? When the timing is advanced should I be watching the EGT's to see that they stay below 800cel? What A/F ratio is needed to advance the timing? Just picking your brains and trying to understand this tuning thing a little more. Links to info concerning this are wanted also. I couldn't find anything useful with my searches.
My set up is.
GTIR (obviously), TEC3, disco P., 72# inj, Fuel Pressure, EGT, A/F & boost gauges, JWT S3, stock internals on the bottom end. TYIA Joel

A

AndrewD

well it depends really, and just giving us or anyone your info wont necessarily be providing you with an answer

advance is about ignition timing and also a measure to prevent knock at high compression ratios with a lower than acceptable octane rated fuel

i know this for a fact since the race engine im currently involved in runs upto 40 crankshaft degrees advance!!! with a 12:1 geometric compression ratio and 1.3 bar boost! on 98 octane at about 12000 rpm! ;)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
GTIRoids said:
What's the most advanced timing that can be run on the 54C motor?
The most that doesn't cause the engine to suffer from detonation is the simple answer.

We run about 20degs advance on 98ron over here, but even then some people need to retard it slightly.