bringing faded red paint back

gtir bean

whats the best way to get red that is faded bad back to a deep red?i was thinking 2000 grade paper and warm soapy water and then a good polish?i know it will fade again but just to bring it back a bit.

B

blugtirboy

don't use 2000 grade paper :shock: :shock: you'll probably end up breaking through the paint and it will be a nightmare to get it to polish back again if it's the original paint ,try t-cut first if that doesn't do it
then try cutting compound on an electric mop finished off with hand glaze
or similiar to get rid of any swirl marks :D :D

rayman75

i have a red un, when i 1st got it, i got the colour magic stuff, then went over it with a wax.

best way to do it, is wax it every couple of weeks with canuba wax (the meguires stuff) and polish it say every 6 months. should have it looking good in no time.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
blugtirboy said:
don't use 2000 grade paper :shock: :shock: you'll probably end up breaking through the paint and it will be a nightmare to get it to polish back again if it's the original paint ,try t-cut first if that doesn't do it
then try cutting compound on an electric mop finished off with hand glaze
or similiar to get rid of any swirl marks :D :D
what he says :D

maybe go over it with one of those polishes that is full of petrol after that, something like triple wax - just to replenish the paint.

J

jasegould

The best way is with a mop...use can use gool old elbow grease and T Cut but you prob wont cut into the surface enough to make it last longer than a few weeks.
Once polished keep it waxed/polished regulary....but youll prob find that you will need it mopped regulary to keep it nice (once a year)
Jay

S

scottie686

There is a 3m product called 'Finess'. You can use it either with a mop or by hand. Just apply like polish (but you have to work it quite hard) apllying 2 maybe 3 coats before removing, then remove and load up with polish. The stuff is amazing. Not sure if you can buy it in the shops, I just nick me bro's which he gets trade.

ki_saj_ng

a cutting compound called G3.

iv got some and used it on my bros car, turned from pinky/red into ferrari red :wink:

top stuff, bit pricey but u pay for quality right!

S

skypilot34

hi 3m do a liqiud call full cut polishing compound bit pricey but bloody good stuff you can get it from most body shops did mine with it looks like it has just been respayed got the info from a m8 in the body repair trade hope this helps you :D

MonstR

Try Meguirs 3 stage deep crystal polish. Bought my red R up like new and left a mirror shine on all the panels. Blo*dy brilliant stuff! :)

D

DOT2DOT

Its very hard to keep the colour after using a compund. Takes it to be waxed every week. Mine is slightly faded, but ill eventually get a respray.

GTiR_Mic

Always good to use the Red T-cut.

I am about to use a poilsh that has been taken from avaiation. it gives a 5 year protection. It is called AG5 Formula, get it from the internet and cost just over £50.

Michael