Brakes = Shite!

paz

Morning all :D

I know by now, shite standard brakes and the R come hand in hand :doh:

My question however is exactly how shite are they as standard. My current front brake set-up is coming to the end of its life (black diamond pads and discs) however I'm trying to remember if the brakes have always been this crap or have recently got worse.

My main issue is how crap the brakes are when I first get in the car. when driving down my road I usually jump on the brakes a couple of times to be safe, becasue if I don't the first time that I use them in anger there is absolutely no stopping power at all :roll: its like they've surface rusted and I have to clear that off first, or alternatively I suppose it could be because they're cold.

Is this a problem that anyone else has with their car, or is it just me? I'm probably going to go for an oversized disc with the standard calipers to replace the brakes (I can't stretch to 4 pots at the moment), and wanted to clear this little matter up first.

Thanks all :thumbsup:

Paz

PaulB

your title says it all. I realised after racing a 360 modena and nearly banging into him, that i needed some stopping power.
So i went for 310mm wilwoods,
now i can stop :thumbsup:

Mr GTiR

Paz, it’s all well getting bigger disc’s but don’t forget if the callipers can’t apply enough clamping force then the bigger disc’s do sh1t!

Get new 4 pot callipers on your car as that will make the biggest difference.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Mr GTiR said:
Paz, it’s all well getting bigger disc’s but don’t forget if the callipers can’t apply enough clamping force then the bigger disc’s do sh1t!
Not exactly right Andy, Bigger discs give more leverage so apply more braking force to the hub. I understand what you mean though rather than what you say ;-)

paz

campbellju said:
Not exactly right Andy, Bigger discs give more leverage so apply more braking force to the hub. I understand what you mean though rather than what you say ;-)
Exactly what I was thinking. More leverage I was thinking, which applies more braking force to the hub. You're a mind reader :lol: :thumbsup:

Paz

antgtir

If you look carefully and wait for the right time to buy a set of second hand 4pots with bigger discs etc will come available im sure and for reasonable price. I got mine at a good price considering what i got8) Also the amount you will pay for bigger discs and brackets to extend the lever arm of the caliper you probably wont be far off a second hand pair of 4pots with bigger discs and brackets ready to go.

Before you decide on anything id just wait and see what turns up and also work out how much it will cost to do the bigger disc only upgrade.

Ant.

paz

I'd like 4 pots fella, but its what becomes available and when - these ones that are on now are ok once warm, but worrying to begin with :lol:

paz

Shaun

Paz,i'll put it into context for you mate,i thought my 3G 10 grooves and Mintex1144 pads were really good especially compared to other 'R's with similar setups,i then got offered a Wilwood 310mm setup,but was dubious because a mate of mine had these with Greenstuff pads and my standard size brakes would outbrake him,but the offer was too good to refuse,the pads with the kit are Wilwoods own and after i fit them and bed them in i couldnt believe the difference over my old setup,i had to pull my face off the screen the first time i stamped on them.Get the whole kit mate.

A

andrew

yeap had to put new std spares i had on the car as the uprated drilled discs i had went bad.
And my god running 1.5 bar trying to stop on std brakes never again. Iam saving up for 4/6 pots so next month the sh1te std brakes are going into the bin, all though they only will have 100miles on them, i can sell them on to the next poor bugger

Last edited by a moderator:

paz

I'll try and get hold of some 4 pots then. If anyone knows of any up for grabs can you give me a shout please.

Ta

paz

houghy_1

Yep get 4 pots8)

Note to shaun and anyone else for that matter..
Dont bother with greenstuff for an R!

They just dont like the weight of the R and the heat generated to stop the car.
If it HAD to be EBC pads,it'd be the redstuff,think thats the next grade up(yellow is racing).

But for me id say the wilwood poly q's are the way to go,(ask andy how to bed them in!!!:p :thumbsup: ),
not the poly e's as they squeel too much.

Matt