Brake piston tool

timmy

I'm just about to change my front brakes pads and I've heard there's a tool you can get for turning the piston back into the caliper. Did my rears not long ago and managed it with a couple of pairs of pipe grips but it would be easier if I had the right tool. Does it exist and where do I get one from?

GINGA

the front pistons just push in normally either with a large pair of grips or big screw driver etc :wink: its only the rears that need winding in due to the handbrakes system.
You can buy a tool that does both though and like above halfords should have it.

timmy

Cheers. If the front ones just push in then that makes things a lot easier. Was a pain doing the back ones without the right tool. Went to Halfords this morning and they had no idea what I was talking about. Shame because I got a load of vouchers for my birthday that I need to spend.

JIMMYBACK

halfords employ right muppets :x dont u just hate the spotty little oiks...piss off back to maccy ds will u :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MarkTurbo

I've got a tool i welded up at work. Its basically a T shape but with a bit of bar welded on the end to locate in those recesses on the piston :D

Speaking of halfords and macdonalds muppets, i went in macdonalds for breakfast this morning (dont usuallt eat that s**t but i was rather hungry) and i got served by some spotty little ginger kid called Marvin :lol: :lol: :lol: He was a right thicko too

JIMMYBACK

MarkTurbo said:
I've got a tool i welded up at work. Its basically a T shape but with a bit of bar welded on the end to locate in those recesses on the piston :D

Speaking of halfords and macdonalds muppets, i went in macdonalds for breakfast this morning (dont usuallt eat that s**t but i was rather hungry) and i got served by some spotty little ginger kid called Marvin :lol: :lol: :lol: He was a right thicko too
i bet he was a right chav too :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A

angelo_444

thought I'd post this is here so as to not start a new topic.

I had my R jacked up yesterday front wheels were off, and was planning to change the front pads. To my amazement, the calipers were different to what I'm used to. They are the stock ones, but I guess I'm just not used to new brakes (after 1990) can anybody tell me how to change them?

Don't wanna start undoing bolts just to have a poke around, as they are brakes, and they are what stops me from killing myself.

any help is appreciated (muchly)

angelo

timmy

Did mine today. Really easy. (Easier than the rears anyway). Just undo the 2 slide bolts at the back of the caliper (14mm socket) and pull them all the way out and half of the caliper will come away leaving the other half and the pads on. Simply swap the pads, Push the piston back into the caliper and slide the caliper over the new pads. Then refit the slide bolts. Job done.

A

angelo_444

cool thanks,

I thought that was it but didn't want to start taking the calipers apart just in case I couldn't put them back together :oops:

anyway thanks again

better get to it then