Brake pads and costs?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I’ve got a set of Midilite - 280mm Wilwood 4 Pots on my car at the moment.

I’ve just has a look around for some brake pads, Mintex 1144’s were coming out just over £90 inc vat :shock:

Just wondering what price people have paid in the past and any recommendations for pads, manly fast road and light race.

Cheers

Jon Olds

Done a bit more diggin. The yellow stuff compound has been redone. Ordered a set for the rear of my rallycar, high 50's from 'tweeks.
Will report how I get on....

warringtonjack

Just out of curiosity, I've just bought a full set of Red Stuff pads, got standard brake set up at mo. They've just turned up with the rear set stating that they are for maxima/qx/sunny/100nx which are fine, the fronts state that they are for a Primera. Is this right?? The R brakes are the same on the front as the primera??

MarkTurbo

fubar andy said:
I’ve just has a look around for some brake pads, Mintex 1144’s were coming out just over £90 inc vat :shock:
If you think thats expensive for a set of pads do a search for 'Endless' brake pads, depending on the compound some of them are £400 a set :lol: A set of Ferodo Ds2500 pads for the AP 4 pots ive got is just over £100, dont want to be going through sets of them too often :doh:

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Hmm funny this topic should come back, as I’ve been looking into new brake pads for mine today as well as replacement disc's after I cracked them.

I'm off to Spa later this year so i'm investing in some new pads while I’ve got the cash

Previously I had pads from rally design, possible the poly Q's, but I’m not sure as they came 2nd hand with my callipers (Wilwood).
However the pads then were total crap compared to what I have now which are Mintex 1144’s.

The “bite” from whatever was in those pads was poor as well as the actual braking friction which was rubbish.
I looked at the yellow stuff pads and the “new improved formula” but I’m still not convinced that EBC are as good as they make out. I’ve used other pads from EBC and been disappointed with them.

After a little phoning around I’m looking to use the Mintex 1166’s. I’ve never used them but they seem to tick the boxes for trackday use. Speaking to Mintex they said they don’t have any 66’s available and would create a batch in the Midilite, just wondered if anyone else has used 66’s or 55’s for that matter on track and how they performed?

One other point, if you up rate the rear brake pads does it make a great difference with braking or have I been fed a load of salesman crap to make me buy for buying sake?

Mark – yeah after posting that I did find prices much higher than that so went with them in the end to see how they coped!

scott b

warringtonjack said:
Just out of curiosity, I've just bought a full set of Red Stuff pads, got standard brake set up at mo. They've just turned up with the rear set stating that they are for maxima/qx/sunny/100nx which are fine, the fronts state that they are for a Primera. Is this right?? The R brakes are the same on the front as the primera??
im not to sure tbh, i know that the almera GTI ones are the same as the sunny GTIR, have a look on the mintex website and cross reference, but i think they might be different

Jon Olds

I have put uprated ones in the rear, as the std ones in my mk1 golf rallycar started breaking up with the heat. And they were factory VW ones. Tried wilwood pads and the polymatrix ones are good. Ferodo's ds2500/3000 would have been my 1st choice, if they were available for the rear.
Hawk are cheap, but the discs wear fast, and I mean fast. (1mm in 50 miles)