brake discs

nimhbk

if my Brembos 28mm wide does that mean i can only use a 28mm brake disc, or can i go with a 24mm disk also as stated on another post am using the Brembos of a fiat 20v coupe, does that also mean i have to stick with the 305mm wide disc or can i use a small disc like the clio 172 which i believe is 288mm, if the brackets are set up correct

youngsyp

The stock 20V Fiat disks, for the Brembo 4 pots are 28mm thick.

And you can use any disk diameter you like, as long as you get the correct bracket made up for the caliper.

If you're going to do it though, go for the largest diameter disks you can !

Paul

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
nimhbk said:
305mm wide disc
:shock:

That's some disc. It'll look as wide as an F1 brake and duct:lol:

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2005/750/212.html ;-)

The daimmater of the disc would probably depend on the curve of the caliper and what disc it suits best, but as stated I'd go for the biggest disc you can fit under your wheels.

The 24mm disc may or may not work, it would depend how far the pistons have to come out of the caliper body before the seals blow. Last thing you want is for the seals to go when you're braking hard on worn pads. I wouldn't risk it.

MarkTurbo

If the calipers are designed for 28mm discs then thats what you should be using :doh: Most manafacturers give a minimum disc thickness, for example my AP's are designed for 28mm discs and they cannot go below 25.4mm. Go below that and you could risk the pistons coming out the caliper when the pads get low :lol:

youngsyp said:
And you can use any disk diameter you like, as long as you get the correct bracket made up for the caliper.
Not really true, like Carl said it depends on the curve of the caliper. You wouldnt use an 8 pot caliper designed for 380mm discs on a 300mm disc and vice versa ;-)

youngsyp

MarkTurbo said:
Not really true, like Carl said it depends on the curve of the caliper. You wouldnt use an 8 pot caliper designed for 380mm discs on a 300mm disc and vice versa ;-)
I should have really thought about that, before I posted it up shouldn't I ?! :doh:

Paul