BOV doesnt dump air

S

Stoned

OK. Ignoring my last post I now have my car working and the BOV is fitted.

But heres the thing. It doesnt hiss... at all. All I hear is the 'wastegate chatter'. The other thing is the car is much noiser now when accelerating, there is a big rushy noise that wasnt there with the standard recirc valve and the performance generally seems to have dropped.

Bit of a mix eh :)

Any ideas on any of these.

Hoses all seem to be tight, boost gauge is reading the same and the BOV is plugged in snugly. It just doesnt seem right.

mattygti-r

personally i think thats the spring that seems to need easing in

mine you hear the "chatter" then it dumps (but only after a while from cold)

youve a pm anways :)

Shaun

:wink: What make of dump valve have you fitted mate :?: As HMR40 had a TurboSmart that wouldnt dump off because the spring was too stiff on standard boost :!:

geetee

If the spring is too hard... the dump valve won't dump and u'll get a lot more wastegate chatter noise.

Are you running standard boost still or have you upped it?

On the other hand, if your performance has dropped and you hear a rushy noise on acceleration... are you sure the BOV isn't stuck open or leaking.... therby losing you boost pressure?

What peak boost are you hitting? Is it the same as before you fitted the BOV? Have you fitted any other parts at the same time (e.g. like an induction kit)?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

O

one Gti-R

Sounds like the spring it too tight

ease it off that should fix your problem.

S

Stoned

I dont know. It's a SAAD R2D2 which a few people on here are using without problems and I run 0.8 bar which is slightly higher than normal.

Car just doesnt run as well with it on, it's popping & banging a lot between gear changes too. Matty's gonna sort it for me :D

Boost pressure would appear to be the same, but I dont really look at the gague much, car just seems slightly lethargic

geetee

it's popping & banging a lot between gear changes too.
any atmospheric dump valve will make this happen... it's part of the fun :)

As you change gear, metered air is lost via the BOV which makes the engine overfuel for a fraction of a second as you change gear... the excess fuel explodes in ur exhaust. If you have a straight through exhaust like a Goose you should get flames too 8)

I love the banging and popping on changes - particularly bad when down changing coming up to roundabouts and things.... let's people know you are coming :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

S

Stoned

Righty well I took off the BOV and stuck on a cheapo DV from my old Fiesta turbo and it's hissing like a goodun, and the performance is back to normal :roll:

Not sure whats going on with my new BOV but matty will work it out im sure

JIMMYBACK

i had the same problem matey............ i could for the life of me work it out and im technically minded...........any way it turns out the spring just needs working in cos matty has one on his and hes runnin stanard boost at the mo..it sound phat :shock: :lol: :D......patience is deffo a virtue

mattygti-r

its makes the car "pop" and "bang" as gee says if ur ve a goose etc,

it wont be the same as the bailey bov or dv

as i said iwill put it on mine and ease the spring in, its cos its new, the spring needs to be "worked"

jimmy fitted one to his, and had the same "prb" but standard boost, it dumps fine,

just cos its new thast all :wink:

S

Stoned

OK mate, the lack of performance was a little worrying though. I wondered if maybe it was stuck open and releasing some of the air when going for it as the performance was down and there was a really loud hissing noise not present with either the cheapo DV or the recirc one

Not worried about the popping and banging though, it sounds ace :D
I got a goose ;)