Bit of a strange one here chaps.....

Sweeny

Right, ive recently put a rebuilt lump in my uk car, and its still a uk engine. Ive put a import box on it and seemed to fit fine but something is wrong :? .

For starters the drivers side wheel is set back about an inch more than normal, i dont mean set back as in set back towards the engine, i mean set back towards the rear of the car if you get me :oops: and the otherside seems ok.

I also have a problem on full lock. Its gets really tight like its catching on the arch liners and is holding it back from moving, but the wheel isn't catching on anything :? .

The bottom arm doesn't seem bent or cracked and everything under the car seems straight. I thought it could be that import and uk driveshafts are different :oops: , but ive changed them over and it made no difference. There was a difference on the thread of the driveshafts tho, but still have the same problem.

Anyone got any ideas :?: im a bit stuck :?

zia

are the top mount's right way round?. is the camber setting ok?have you physically checked that the arm is bent? where the arm bolt's onto check for fracture's is it straight? has the car been in an accident?

zia

Sweeny

zia said:
are the top mount's right way round?. is the camber setting ok?have you physically checked that the arm is bent? where the arm bolt's onto check for fracture's is it straight? has the car been in an accident?

zia
ive recently put some Teins on so i know the're on the right way and i had the same problem with the previous suspension too.

Not physically checked the arm for cracks or anything, just with my eye :wink: :lol: .

And no the car hasn't been any accidents.

A couple of pics to to show what i mean:

Drivers side wheel:

Passenger side wheel:

:(

zia

yeah defo something wrong. take the arm off and check it with another side by side and check the mounting point's closely

zia

Sweeny

zia said:
yeah defo something wrong. take the arm off and check it with another side by side and check the mounting point's closely
Yeah, i'll take one off my grey car and compare them :wink: , cheers for that idea.

Anything else while i'm at it peeps?

paz

Only two things I've known to cause that are a bump (and a twist as a result) and I was reading something on here the other day about a knackered suspension arm or something - can't find it now though :(

Paz

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Looks like a bent wishbone to me...

Thats what will cause the wheel to sit back...

Rishi

Sweeny

paz said:
Only two things I've known to cause that are a bump (and a twist as a result)
Well it was fine with the old engine and gearbox in and has only happened since putting the new engine in so i guess it has the be to do with the bottom arm. I don't know what's happened to it when we changed the engine over tho :?

Will take a closer look at the bottom arm/wishbone, cheers :wink:

LOU ROB

Has the car been driven after you put in the new engine/gearbox ?

have the bolts holding the rear of the wishbone fell out due to vibration, maybe they wern't tightened :?

Sweeny

LOU ROB said:
Has the car been driven after you put in the new engine/gearbox ?

Have the bolts holding the rear of the wishbone fell out due to vibration, maybe they wern't tightened :?
Yeah its been driven loads mate :shock: :lol: . But in sayin that they shouldn't be loose as they havn't been undone since ive had it and this problem wasn't there with the old engine :? .

Dooie Pop Pop

i kerbed my old golf and did exactly the same thing, sorry mate i wouldn' t want to suggest a mate had done it and not owned up :oops:

Sweeny

Dooie Pop Pop said:
i kerbed my old golf and did exactly the same thing, sorry mate i wouldn' t want to suggest a mate had done it and not owned up :oops:
Right i get ya, yeah i know what u mean mate, but it was noticed before the engine was fired up. Its like it happened whilst we were doing the engine and box swap.

I'm now thinking we've damaged the wishbone some how whilst doin the swap or the wishbone bushes have collapsed :?

You say that exactly the same thing happened to your golf, was it the wishbone that bent mate?

paz

Sweeny said:
paz said:
Only two things I've known to cause that are a bump (and a twist as a result)
Well it was fine with the old engine and gearbox in and has only happened since putting the new engine in so i guess it has the be to do with the bottom arm. I don't know what's happened to it when we changed the engine over tho :?

Will take a closer look at the bottom arm/wishbone, cheers :wink:
You're right, that is a strange one :? You didn't 'drop' the new engine at any stage when you were putting it in did you? :lol: :wink:

Hope its nothing major fella, let us know what you find :)

Paz

Sweeny

paz said:
You're right, that is a strange one :? You didn't 'drop' the new engine at any stage when you were putting it in did you? :lol: :wink:
Don't remember dropping it :oops: :lol: :lol:

paz said:
Hope its nothing major fella, let us know what you find :)
Me too mate, i'll post up why tho when i've figured it out :wink:

Sweeny

Trying to sort this out now, it still hansn't been sorted as ive been lazy :roll: :oops: , havn't driven it in months tho...not tax/mot.

I don't see how it can be the chassis as it was fine when i bought it and i didn't hit any kurbs or anything. It just appeared when the new engine went in. I thought we might of bent the bottom arm so I bought some other arms which i knew for defo were straight, fitted them and its still the same :cry: .

Any suggestions

Cheers

CruiseGTi-R

Hi mate, I've had the exact same problem before.

My passenger wheel was further back.

I replaced the arm too, but when comparing the two arms together the old and new one were identical so predictably, replacing the arm didn’t help.

Shortly afterwards I changed the rear bushes on the arms for the castor ones and fitted the bumpsteer kit. This seemed to make some difference but still not great.

I started getting a knocking noise after this though. I took the car to a garage :evil: and they found the bolts which held the castor bushes on were tight (as tight as I could get them with the tools I had :oops: ), but not properly tight so the plate holding the arm on was able to move about under force. The bolts were tightened fully and the knocking stopped. At the same time the wheel was now almost in the right position, way better than before.

At the same time as all of this I was fiddling with the coilovers a lot, taking them in and out to buggar about with. I can’t tell you specifically what did it, but in doing all this somewhere along the line the alignment came back in.

Weird I know and probably not massively helpful to you :roll: :D .

O

Odin

Well all I can say is if its not a bent wish bone then ether there's something wrong with the wishbone mount/bush or you've some how managed to bend the car when you took the engine out :shock: :!: .

It can only be chassis related :idea: .

If it where me I wouldn't take it anywhere near the public roads in that state, You could end up killing yourself or somebody else for that matter :cry: .

I can only see one cause of action :idea: , And that is to take it to Nissan and get them to check the chassis jigging points, These are the holes in the chassis where they can mesure there relationship with each other thus determining weather the car is bent or not :wink: .

There must be a reason for that wheel not to sit in the centre of the arch and you need to find it before you do anything else with it.

I hope you get it sorted mate :wink: .

rob