BIG ENDS UPDATED 11 may 05

kingy

what was the first start up procedure? (not running). did they balance the assembly with rod piston's? what grade shells did they use? what clearance's were they set to? just because they,ve built engine's before doesn,t necessary make them expert in build sr20det engine!
I'll ask these questions tomorrow :(

ki_saj_ng

hello mate,

how did u get on?

is the garage lot being ok with re-working on the car?

did u find out what caused it yet?

saj 8)

ps, sorry couldnt make it down on sunday, no car to come down in :( was there a good turnout? notts was absolutely pants!

kingy

The garage are being sound about it.I havn't been intouch with them yet to find out what has happened.Just giving them chance to get the engine out and stripped.
Sunday was ok but not the usual massive turn out.
cheers

kingy

i have had a chat to the engine company and they have told me that 1 and 4 big ends have gone and it has fooked a con rod, they aren't sure yet as to why this has happened but they are looking into it as we speak. :evil:

monsterGTi-R

kingy said:
i have had a chat to the engine company and they have told me that 1 and 4 big ends have gone and it has fooked a con rod, they aren't sure yet as to why this has happened but they are looking into it as we speak. :evil:
:evil: :evil: It must be there fault must'nt it :?:

kingy

It must be there fault must'nt it
yes i would have thought so.It also has a 3 mth warranty. Everything they said the engine needed it had including a genuine complete oil pump not just the gears.
Does anyone think it could be as simple as to what oil they use???
surely not :shock:
i have read alot about what oil is best but surely a rebuilt engine wouldn't suffer that much from oil.When i was younger i always thought any oil is better than none :oops:
i think they used 15-30 semi synthetic not sure what brand though, probably cheapest they can get like most other firms.

W

WoOsH

Hi all

well if they did use 15-30 semi synthetic that cud be a cause coz it wudnt give enough Hi-temp protection and also I woz told that the R needs a FULLY synthetic oil. The other thing to make sure is they crank the engine over without starting it after they have done the oil change to pump the oil around the the engine.

How nice do R's look in the Sunny british weather??

Simmo

I've just had the same thing happen, disintegrating big end shells 1 & 4 and then scuffing the crank, this was due to an oil starvation problem. For me it ended up costing £50 more for a complete new engine than buying new crank (was over re-grinding tolerance), shells and rods so I went that way.

I've heard that cylinder 4 usually goes because the oil & fuel pumps arent quite as good as they should be thus leading to oil starvation.

Apparently a good preventative measure is to fit uprated fuel & oil pumps. Also an aftermarket oil cooler is a good choice.

Cheers, Simmo

kingy

Cheers everyone for the replies.
The car should be back soon as i spoke to them this morning and they said they are putting it back together as i spoke to them.
Now the only worrying thing is they couldn't find anything wrong :evil:
they just don't know what could have been the cause.
He asked how long the remote oil filter had been on the car but it has been on aslong as the car has been in uk,must have been fitted in japan, don't think it could be that could it???

Now another worrying thing is this is my bro's car but my R is there also being rebuilt,that has had to be resleaved or somthing due to it being stood for a v-long time with water left in it and not drained :cry:
also needs a crank, mines worn 25,000" of no3 journal and no3 con rod is fo@ked.
But they are being cautious now and have put mine on hold till my bro's is spot on.Cant really fault them for that,i wouldn't want it back and then it brake.
They have told me they have rebuilt these engines before and not had a problem at all, the owners son used to have a R aswell so they apparantly know the cars well.
sorry for going on but you know what it's like when your R'less

kingy

ok all, picked up the pulsar today and the garage has told me they have stripped the engine and double checked everything but they can't find anything at fault :?
So they have pointed the problem out to be the remote oil filter and front mounted oil cooler :cry: they said it is probable that when the big ends went the first time it could have put some metal particals in the system so to avoid that happening again and to eliminate the set up they have disconected it all.The car sounds alot better this time and the oil pressure seems to be a little higher on tickover.
Oh yea there also was no charge :) as it is under warranty.
so now i have got to do another 1000 mile :evil: running in

W

WoOsH

Glad to hear its all sorted kingy i'll keep my fingers crossed for u :)

J

jasegould

Who was the garage :?: .....you hear so many thing about garages being C N U T S how about hearing about ones that aren't :?:
Jay

F

Fraz

sounds as tho there a good bunch of lads really. good luck with running it in again then . les hope it doesn;t go pear shaped again!