BIG ENDS UPDATED 11 may 05

kingy

Right then my bro had is pulsar rebuilt recently and we have just finished running it in 1000mile,Took it back to garage today for a inspection and oil and filter change, then after 1 hour of having the car back it has done the big ends AGAIN.
Just wondered if anyone can shed any light onto why. :evil:

ki_saj_ng

sorry to hear this mate, u must be gutted.

was it running fine before the service upto that first 1k?

were u trashing it around when u noticed they had gone again?

what power n stuff are u running?

also can i ask who rebuilt the engine for u as it should be under a warrenty right?

saj

kingy

yea proper gutted.The car should be under warranty but the garage was closed when they went so i'll post outcome tomorrow.
The engine is standard, and was running fine.No sign of them going,the car was run for 1000mile using no more than 3500rpm, After it was run in today it has only done about 15mile and still hasn't been past 5500rpm.
They just went,no sign at all one min the engine was sweet as a nut the nxt knocking like a knocking shop. :evil:

ki_saj_ng

fook, was looking forward to meeting ya on sunday.

not sure y it would happen like that but maybe summat with the work that was done to it, or maybe the parts were defected but this is all very unlikely.

just hang around and try not to stress too much mate, see what the garage has to say and hang around here for a few peoples input.

saj

kingy

Took the car in this morning they said they will sort it,but they cant start on it till nxt week :(
I would like to hear peoples opinion off here on why the big ends should go unexpectedly.All the gauges wa reading the same as normal when they went aswell.I just don't understand :evil:

O

Odin

Maybe they cut a few corners when they built it :?: You never know.

The crank may of been damaged and they didn't spot it or tryed to get away with not doing it properly :roll: .

rob

kingy

Maybe they cut a few corners when they built it You never know.

The crank may of been damaged and they didn't spot it or tryed to get away with not doing it properly .

rob
I thought about this but i supplied them with a crank first and they checked it and supplied documented proof that it was bent. Then they got a crank from some where and that was bent, then after a few weeks wait he managed to get a good crank which he had checked.

kingy

thanks anyway pal. :)
Also does anyone know why the big ends don't rumble for a few weeks or mth rather than just smash up

ki_saj_ng

good news that they're sorting it out for u.

bad news that they cant start on it asap but thats understandable.

good luck with it anyway mate

saj 8)

kingy

did they use the old big end bearings just a thought
No mate they didn't,well i hope not anyway.lol
i have a reciept for all the work carried out and new shells is listed.
Also the old shells was in pieces. :cry:

kingy

would of thought they know which way to fit them.They have been building engines longer than i have been alive. lol

A

AJ4

They can't be building them that well then if it keeps breaking ! <joke> :D

A

AJ4

You reckon it might be your running in procedure ? Not enough oil changes ? too high rpm for too long ? Blocked oilways somewhere ? Wrong grade of oil ? Too high compression ? Pistons twisting ? Detonation ?

kingy

don't think it is the running in procedure,no more than 3500rpm for 1000mile then went back to engine center for inspection and oil and filter change.
only 15 mile after inspection and didn't take it past 5500 rpm.
shouldn't be blocked oil ways either the engine was totally stripped down and checked then rebuilt with new parts that was needed.
Even had a complete oil pump 301 pound + vat
not sure what oil was used.
would compression or det cause big end failure??

A

AJ4

Well it can give the whole engine a right good kicking... Shouldn't think its even remotely related to that though, was just trying to come up with suggestions :D

zia

did you say the shells are in piece's?. what colour are the shells? if the bronze type colour they may have been overheating. what was the first start up procedure? (not running). did they balance the assembly with rod piston's? what grade shells did they use? what clearance's were they set to? just because they,ve built engine's before doesn,t necessary make them expert in build sr20det engine!

zia