Benefits of larger intake manifold

frp

As title what would be the benefits of a larger intake manifold, and what about a single larger? throttle body?
Any info/comments appreciated
cheers

ashleygtir

from what ive been told it gives more power. MG's use diff sized throttle boddies to control the power. and bmw do it.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Ultimately the standard manifold will become a restriction to making more power, but I don't know at what power level this is, probably well after 400bhp I'd imagine? (Any idea troll?)
With a larger manifold/throttle body you might loose some power low down if it causes the gas speed to slow down, but it won't be the restriction that the standard one would be at big power and will allow you to make more power with a big turbo.

T

tro||

the guy that built rennie koos malaysian car mentioned that the quads were good for over 600bhp, its on his old website somewhere. H at asford motorsport has flowed one and says the same. I know plenty of other people that dont rate them though at high revs, high power.

ultimately you get better flow into the engine with a different/bigger inlet manifold, theres all sorts of reasons why and how which i cant be arsed to go into.

on the sr20 the americans rate the 02 induction inlet manifolds, claimed 40bhp gains are often mentioned on boosted de's. Not sure how they'd do against a gtir inlet but chances are you'd see an improvement. They're the guys to speak to

unless your going for really silly power i wouldn't worry about it tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What manifold/throttle is The Bear on, if he's not standard what were his reasons for changing? In fact what are you (Troll) going to be running ?

T

tro||

both our set ups are pretty similar.

both using 70mm single throttle bodies, both heavily re-worked the standard inlet manifold, opening up the runners, port matched and some re-shaping into the runners.

my reason has always been mainly for the dp nitrous plus i wanted rid of all that crap nissan put up the back, it also makes it easier to map the car on a single tb.

Both of us will be on standalone ecus co can do away with all the junk thats normally used to get the car to idle. Somethings obviously working well on mikes set up so i still say its the way forward.

i'll probably get a custom one on there before the cars finished tbh, just got plenty of other things that need doing first.