battery?

Sam_M

Not sure if this points towards battery or not, recently had a problem when it rained with the car pointing downhill ive had trouble starting the car, its just went click click click like a dead battery but then suddenly turned over and started making me wonder if it was connections. Ive checked all I can see and the terminals were a bit dry so Ive greased them up. Charged the battery up and it started without any problems for a few days. then it rained again, same thing happened. After a long run it started fine afterwards then left it over night, click click click then start. Sounded to me like a bad earth but what I can see all seems to be ok, altho I cant actually see where abouts the starter is, maybe because ive still got the top mount on.

Does that sound more like a dud battery or possible a bad connection on the starter itself? Stange thing is its never not started, just manages to get enough power to suddenly start.

cheers
Sam

houghy_1

Could be the starter solenoid sticking???
Mine sounded the same a few clicks and nothing.

ive just had a new starter fitted and battery with bigger cranking amps.
So far so good:thumbsup:

Thats my tuppence.

Sam_M

Thanks for the replys chaps, think im gonna try a new battery as its a bit slow turning when cold, but if that fails then new starter I guess, cant complain as the car has been fantastic for me over the year, Ill allow a little misshap now and again :D.

stumo

get the battery tested before you go wasting money on a new one.

out of 3 starters i've recently looked at , all have needed brushes as they were worn down.

it sounds like it could be the starter if all the connections are good.

stumo

Fast Guy said:
Check for water in the plug wells.
water in the plug wells won't stop the engine turning over.....it might stop it starting which is a different thing altogether.