Battery boxes?

GTi-R23

Anyone know a good place for cheap battery boxes, have seen some black ones with red straps that a few people seem to have.

Does the battery need to be mounted in a box to pass the MOT? Mine is just bolted in the standard tray to the boot floor at the moment.

Cheers

rayman75

i think it will pass as long as it doesnt move.

for batt boxs check out ebay, i bought mine for £14 odd quid.

stumo

the reason people put batteries in a box is:

it stops anything touching the terminals, if something did touch and earth out the pos terminal the battery could explode or it could start a fire.

another reason is during an accident acid can come out of a battery via the vent holes...and you wouldn't want that getting in your eyes.

GTi-R23

Yeah not overkeen on washing in battery acid to be honest, it is bolted down firmly at the minute but will stick it in a box for piece of mind, whats this I hear about it needing to vented to atmosphere then? Anyone else with a battery in their boot had MOT problems?

rayman75

had a MOT back in feb with no probs. alot of BMW's have batteries in the boot.

you need to have it vented as the battery does give off a bit of fumes due to the acid inside.

GTi-R23

How have people vented theirs then? Is this an MOT requirement?

Only keep banging on about the MOT coz it's due and I just wanna get it through and will do the venting etc afterwards.

steve963

I need a batt. box for the boot with some sort of vent (i wouldnt fit one without a vent), somebody bring me one and fit it for **** all.

**** it i`ll take it to a female owned garage

vss irvine

just get a battery box and get the battery into it. if the battery moves about in the box, make a small wooden 'H' shape from 3 bits of wood, and sit it over the battery to stop it moving in the box, the battery box wont be air tight with the cables coming out, and theres ventilation flaps already in a pulsar boot.
as long as its secure itll go through a test no problem.