bad running with lots of throttle at 4000 RPM

CanadianR

Recently, I let my car get quite low on fuel. (As in, the tank took 45 litres to fill up to the top). Now I noticed that when I gave it (~75% throttle) before I filled with fuel again, that the car surged. I thought it was because of the low fuel and backed off until I filled the tank. After filling the tank I travelled about 3 km, before giving it again. Same thing. Car seems to stutter above ~3800 rpm with anything more than 60% throttle, while making boost. Other than that, the engine runs fine, there's an exhaust leak but that was same as before. Car accelerates normally through the other gears with any throttle, but once it gets to that magical 4000 rpm, the stuttering comes in. Sounds like the engine is misfiring?

I put a new fuel filter in 5000 km ago, and a Walbro 255 lph in 3000 km ago.

What should I do? what could be happening?

CanadianR

is it common for those to go around low fuel time, or just worn out?
OEM wires/leads, or are there better aftermarket ones?

If it has only happened since you let the fuel get low and you have recently fitted a new fuel pump I would start by checking the fuel pump hasn't come loose or the filter come off the end, then maybe replace the fuel filter in the engine bay as a matter of course in case it has got blocked with some crud from the bottom of the tank.

CanadianR

is there a better way to check the fuel filter? I shorted the two pins on the plug and they gave me code 55 -- All good.

Still doing the misfiring/stuttering problem also. any other ideas?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the fuel filter by replacing it. Fault code check won't tell you anything about the filter, only the 6 items it gives a code for.

If you let the fuel run that low, you've probably picked up some crap out of the tank and partially blocked the filter. I did it once before in an old car, ran out of fuel and it ran like shite for quite a while after that.

CanadianR

no boost leaks. Timing is 2 needle-widths away from 20 degrees. Haven't touched it, and the factory "tape" is still on the top distributor bolt. I dont know what it could be. New spark plugs are hopefully arriving next week, then I'll swap the fuel filter if the hesitating is still there.

Sometimes the problem is here, other times it is not? That is whats wierd to me . . .

youngsyp

First place I'd look is the fuel filter. By running the tank low, although it wasn't that low imho, it's probably picked up loads of crap from the bottom of the tank.

This is almost identical to the issue I had a few months ago. I changed all the consumable ignition parts, including leads and the last place I looked was the filter, even though I had been running my tank low. Of course, it seems very obvious now !

Take the filter of and blow through the end that connects to the fuel rail, so in effect, you pushing fuel out against it's normal flow direction. You'll probably feel a blockage and almost certainly, loads of black silt will come out.
If there is a blockage and you manage to clear it (this should be pretty evident) you could wash the filter out some more, with fresh fuel and stick it back in. Take the car for a drive and when you're happy the issue is fixed, get down to Nissan and order a new filter !

CanadianR

bump. I've been looking through my old threads and realized this one wasn't solved.

I swapped out the old plugs and tossed in some new NGK Platinum's and they solved the problem.