apexi fc

luke s

Just looking at this as a future option
What are the pros on this system are there many people useing it?
Am I right in saying it gets rid of the maf?

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
Its a mappable ecu,but you still have to have a maf, this unit just allows you to change maf and injectors etc for higher power, a nistune does the same and may work out cheaper with mapping.

Gtir123

There are two versions of a PFC... A d and. J version
one does remove maf but you still need a sensor in the pipe work...

or or maybe they don't do a choice in the gtir range.??

luke s

ok just seen a few forsale and always like the writeups on them so thought id find out a little more from people that have used or useing them

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
No MAP version for the GtiR, only MAF. I use a pro version and with a datalogit I and others have found it pretty straightforward to map their cars and get good results.

I've used a Nistune and it works but I haven't found it as user friendly so found it more awkward to setup.

Without the datalogit though or a tuner with experience of a PFC you wouldn't get access to the features that really improve the mapping for all occasions and not just a WOT dyno special.

I've seen a few maps from members over the years from tuners (who have gone to the wall) and setup the PFC using the AFC features in the ECU. For me this was a con as the tuners didn't understand the ECU so did the minimum but charged people at the time an extra £800 for the pleasure. An adjustable FPR and a couple of degrees on your timing would have had a similar same effect!

If you are mapping the car yourself then you may already have your own preference. If you're not then speak to your tuner FIRST and see what they prefer as that will influence the end result far more than the ECU you install.

What is your target HP and what do you want to do with the car (track/street)

luke s

the car is only for the street id like around 340 but i know that depends on gearbox ext, first i need to find whats at fault in my engine but there my target figures
then il find whos the best near me to take it to get setup on the rollers ext

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
the car is only for the street id like around 340
I'd go Nistune then; as Jim (campbellju) says the Nistune might not be as user friendly as the PFC.
However as I'm a Nistune user only and I've found it fine, but I've not got the PFC experience like Jim has, so I might sound more "pro Nistune"

As he mentioned, if you are going to self map, then it'll be down to your preference, however if your going "tuna" then it's worth seeing what they offer.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I'd always recommend investing in an AFR gauge as a first step to understand the existing tune on your engine. It helps you see what difference any tuning has made and allows you then to fault find more easily later as you know how the car previously responded.