Apexi FC 500+bhp

ckd281081

Got an Apexi FC ecu, and ive also got a Z32 AFM. Now i know the limit of a Z32 is 500bhp, so whats the answer to going above that? I did email Apexi about a possible map sensor, but got no response. Anyone on here have any knowledge to share? Cheers

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What HP are you aiming for? 500hp, 600HP? A Z32 will stretch beyond 500hp but not by much. You can mount the sensor in a 3.5" housing and rescale to get you closer to 600hp. You could fit a GM sensor (IIRC) that will take you beyond 600hp and recalibrate in the PFC.

ckd281081

The goal is anything above 500bhp, but I've read plenty that the z32 tops out at 500. The turbo, head, and supporting mods I have should give around 500-525bhp I would say. So basically remove the sensor, fabricate a larger housing for it, and it should be fine?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
You might be fine at that level. I think we made 510 WHP on a Z32 before changing things. If you think you are likely to go above 525hp then fit a bigger housing first as last.

johnny gtir

The goal is anything above 500bhp, but I've read plenty that the z32 tops out at 500. The turbo, head, and supporting mods I have should give around 500-525bhp I would say. So basically remove the sensor, fabricate a larger housing for it, and it should be fine?
what supporting transmission,clutch etc you using ? sounds like big power what do you use the car for ?

Last edited:

red reading

A quaife with a brace and a few mods is reliable at that power, a par is fine as well, only thing that kills gearboxes is the driver with a lack of mechanical sympathy.

ckd281081

Was thinking I may get away with standard set up?? Just kidding haha. Got a Quaife gearbox, Stracher Motorsport end casing brace, bell housing brace on order, OS Gilken twin plate clutch and flywheel set up. Not quite sure what I'll use it for yet. Just enjoying having a project to keep me busy while I'm at home (work away)

red reading

Which Os clutch as the solid centre version is a bit viscous if you plan on drag racing the car....ps use the is release bearing to as that will give you a lighter more controllable clutch and put much much less strain on the clutch pedal bracket, clutch fork and pivot.

ckd281081

So, back to my original question,,, the thing to do is remove the sensor from the z32 housing, fabricate a new, larger housing to hold it in place, and that will cover me for at least 525bhp should i manage it?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
What turbo are you running? We can tell you if you're likely to hit much more than 500hp and if you need to worry about the MAF

If you're going to do 500bhp+ properly spend the money and get a decent ECU. The PFC really is bottom of the pile these days in terms of technology and functionality, some of the daughter board solutions Nistune, Nistronic etc. are much better solutions if you don't want to go to the extent of a Motec or Syvecs, etc.

Might also want to look at using the Ford Lightning MAF, the scaling factors are available online and they are good for the power levels you're talking about.