Alternator wheel size?

Daygo

Hey guys, thanks for all the input on previous threads.. ran into another few issues.. exhaust leak from the manifold has got me inspecting everything in the bay and found my alternator belt freying.. i think when i changed the alternator the reconditioned unit was given back with a slightly smaller pulley on it. The belt teeth seems to groove into the pulley okay so i didnt pay too much attention.. check out the pics and see if you think the pulley size is normal. Deffinatly looks like its smaller than the belt and it sits properly inside the other pulleys properly.. they must have given me a pulley from an n14 maybe.. it handled 195km/h after a 800 kilometre drive.. now the belts starting to give. can this be fixed with a slimmer belt or have to take back alternator? thanks guys!20161114_172700.jpg 20161114_172601.jpg 20161114_172619.jpg

Daygo

Hi warpspeed, does your pulley hang out around the belt? Cant believe they would do this to me..

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Not sure if this is any help?

It does look like the pulley wheel could be a little narrow, not a major issue to change if you can find a replacement pulley or alternator

Daygo

Thanks, looks alot thicker.. i cant believe how many times ive taken the turbo and manifold off the car.. the job is a beast mission.. i installed an aftermarket manifold thinking id get more power out of it.. maybe i got a cheap one.. wasnt worth the changing snaping an oil line and having to take it all apart again after loosing all my oil.. the manifold started recently venting after the thread seperated from the manifold.. have to take it all apart AGAIN! this time im not playing with it.. putting gasket maker on every thread and bolt application to avoid this nonsence. no mechanic wants to touch it. they know its a painfull job

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Turbo and manifold removal should be pretty easy if it's been off a few times. The first time is the worst when all the nuts and bolts are seized after years of not being touched.

Daygo

Your rite.. its still a massive job. speaking to the place where i got the alternator from and i dont think they will warrant it because its been fitted.. they said the mechanic should have noticed the pulley wasnt rite for the car.. but they gave me it the wrong size.. world of pain for me if they use this excuse around the warranty it has.. its a reconed unit.. fare enough if its brand new plus where am i going to get my proper size pulley from.. plus the waste of money and time. im hurting.

geoff pine

If its the wrong size its the wrong size{ its not fit for purpose}its been miss sold to you .Your argument with then is not that it does not work but that its not designed for your car thats there fault not the guy that fitted it .Unless when you bought it you failed to mention gtir or nn14??.

Daygo

Thanks.. it was definatly the wrong one.. sent it back and will be installing soon.. ive noticed alow of oil in the airfilter pipe connected to the turbo inlet. not sure if this is going to be a problem. ive taken the turbo off and checked the for shaft play and all seems pretty tight. seems like theirs less play this time taking it off then the last time i checked it when i first installed the alternator and fitted new manifold.. can this happen? even with the smaller pulley i pushed the car to over 190km/h and still wondering how the belt managed to stay on! Its like the 7 hour drive and after that pushing it alittle too far one night fixed the 1mm shaft play on the turbo and caused a little leak in the inlet pipe of the airfilter.. does my turbo sound okay? or could that be a compression problem in the piston? ive had the car running rough due to a faulty oxygen sensor for alittle while.. sounding like a wrx at times on the fwy also.. im wondering if this oil leak was from exessive air flow or just everything else that was dodgy.. thanks guys your input is greatly appreciated!

Daygo

I forgot to mention.. i had an exhaust leak from the manifold before the turbo after that drive doing excessive speeds. just trying to diagnose the oil leak and why the turbo shaft play has tighted back up like a new turbo.. theirs only one way to find out really .. put it all back together and check the inlet pipe for oil and see if the turbos still good.. thanks for reading!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you have a standard breather system, oil mist works it's way into the inlet and coats everything as that's the way it's routed, so it's normal unless you have so much it's causing smoke out of your exhaust.