alternator belt keeps snapping

Hello all,
Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me and keeps snapping auxillary drive belts (the alternator one)?
I have the air con removed and managed to get a 6 rib one that was the correct size, but when on track (an we all know how steady I drive! cough!!) I keep snapping it. fortunately for Cadwell I took a spare belt so was back up and running in no time, but by the end of the day this new one, which is a QH belt was already fraying. I'm well aware that bouncing off the rev limiter frequently doesn't help, and neither does 440 horses, but its still a problem I would like to sort out. (without driving any steadier!)
If no ones had the same problem, does anybody know of any strengthened/reinforced belts anywhere or were to get them from??

cheers Chris.

p.s, already checked movement in bottom pulley which is minimal, and fit a brand new alternator!

rich1216

try putting a straight edge or string bob between the alt and bottom pulley, i had to do the same it was my alt bracket was out of line meaning when it was really worked it destroyed the edge of the belts

P

pulsarboby

p.s, already checked movement in bottom pulley which is minimal
thats knackered then in other words
you should have 0 movement in pulley, the slightest bit of play in the damper will throw the belt

I'll check that rich, cheers.
I think the very slight movement bob is the crank shims, which I aint doing just yet! I have the lightweight solid ali pulleys on it I bought from you so its not the pulleys! If I think its the crank and not alternator very slightly out of line, I'll keep buying alternator belts instead, two of those per track days not too expensive! :lol:

P

pulsarboby

you should still have 0 movement in crank
if the thrust bearings are worn and cranks walking then i would get that sorted as a matter of urgency chris

alright, I will do then, its always had very slight movement in it but guess its not right!
what are they like to do, an absolute pain in arse??

rich1216

Thrust washers are easy you just got to pull all the bottom end off but you might as well do the mains and big ends at the same time.

red reading

Chris mine used to do this, I found it was the alternator.....used to happen to a mate too and we put the car on the dyno to watch what is going on, we found on his the alternator was sitting slightly at an angle, change the bracket and alternator it cured it, if your crank was walking that far your engine would be scrap.

I always thought that if you remove the air con that you need to fit a 4 ribbed belt as a 6 rib belt fouls the engine on its new path?

Cheers all! Originally it had a 3 rib belt on...... But I snapped two of those! Yes Danny, the movement on crank is minute, and has always been the same for all the time I've owned the car, I'll check the angle is correct an all that tomorrow then, I'll take it to work! :-D I was actually wondering if you would have had a problem in the past, so cheers for the info! :)
Ill report back if I find a problem!