Airflow meter/MAF sensor?

K

KevShek

Other may have an easier solution but here is one way. You need a multimeter to measure voltage, and youll need to locate PIN 16 on the ECU harness. Warm up the car and let it idle, measure the voltage and it should be 1.0-1.5 volts, then rev the car to 2000 rpm and it should be 1.6-2.1 volts. If the reading are way out, then houston, you have a problem.

A

AJ4

A good method is this - remove the air filter so you can see the main intake and the little auxiliary intake that the sensor sits inside. Switch on the ignition and measure the voltage output. Use a straw or a bit of tube to blow air into the little auxiliary intake and see if the voltage changes. If you start off with a soft blow and blow harder and harder you can see if the voltage increases smoothly as well ( which it should do ;) )

A

Anonymous

Do you read the voltage at pin 16 as well? How do you find this? My diagnostic check came up with the MAF sensor, so by changing this i am hoping this will cure the misfire at idle my car has cos it runs like a back of shit. I,ve changed plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm etc.

K

KevShek

PIN 16 can be located by doing the following.
Locate the ECU. Look directly at the back of the plug harness as it is plugged in. Locate the retaining 10mm bolt. PIN 16 is located to the right of that bolt head, Top Row, Second one in.

MarkTurbo

Right i've just checked it this way and theres no voltage there at all :?

Just to make sure i'm doing it right to check the voltage do you put one of the multimeter wires on to pin 16 and the other to an earth?

K

KevShek

yup, PIN 16 will give a live voltage, then earth the meter.

K

KevShek

definately shouldnt be that high!
anyway you can get another use or lend of a MAF to double check? anyone in your area willing to oblige.

MarkTurbo

Its definatly not the MAF sensor. I borrowed the one off my mates R during the week.

All i can think is the wiring is shorting out somewhere :(

I reckon it must be something to do with my other problem (further down in the problem section titled WIRING DIAGRAMS) basically theres no voltage to the ecu relay either :evil:

This is really starting to f**k me off now :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: