airfilter intake pipe

jonesgti_r

Does the length of the pipe between the airfilter and turbo make any difference to performance?

Is a shorter pipe run preferable :?:

MarkTurbo

It'll be interesting to see peoples thoughts on this 8)

Preferably before i make a hardpipe to put the filter behind the headlight :wink: :lol:

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
I'd disagree there but not sure why it does.You can tune the length to change torque characteristics.
i've heard of,or read this somewhere too :D

MarkTurbo

oap-r said:
skiddusmarkus said:
I'd disagree there but not sure why it does.You can tune the length to change torque characteristics.
i've heard of,or read this somewhere too :D
I thought that was more of an issue on naturally aspirated cars rather than turbo'd cars :?:

A

Anonymous

MarkTurbo said:
I thought that was more of an issue on naturally aspirated cars rather than turbo'd cars :?:
you could be right :D
i just remember hearing/reading something on the subject but would not like to say in what context it was used :?

skiddusmarkus

I don't know why it's supposed to make a difference.In the grand scheme of things having an inlet 12-24" shorter on a turbo car is neither here nor there.The amount of time it would take the air passing through it to cover the extra length is going to be measured in fractions of a second.

I'd say the design of the pipe is more important,with having a straight a pipe as possible with smooth bends desirable.

A

Anonymous

skiddusmarkus said:
I don't know why it's supposed to make a difference.In the grand scheme of things having an inlet 12-24" shorter on a turbo car is neither here nor there.The amount of time it would take the air passing through it to cover the extra length is going to be measured in fractions of a second.

I'd say the design of the pipe is more important,with having a straight a pipe as possible with smooth bends desirable.
is it not something to do with air velocity being reduced the longer the inlet is :?:

jonee

r

my mistake i was forgetting about the maf.

i havn't got one :)

it can be anywere between 12- 15 inches away for precise readings.

O

osmium

I read somwhere, I think it was on these forums actually about pipe lengths and that sort of thing.

IIRC it goes something like this, and more relevant to NA rather than turbo cars but the principle still applies to some extent. A longer intake run creates a greater amount of momentum of the air going into the engine, the air close to the engine drags in air from the filter end of things.

thats probably a very bad description but basically long pipe = more low end torque, short pipe = less restrictive, so there is a middle ground for what the best pipe length is.

someone correct me if I'm wrong, or link it if I'm right :)

Keira

skiddusmarkus said:
are you thinking about the length of the trumpets on n/a throttle bodies ??? these can make a difference by altering lengths

L

leeboy

I dont think it would make any difference if the pipe was larger, you might get a different noise, but the turbo has a nice steel pipe bolted to it, so even if it was larger it would still have to compress down to that size.

The original pipe has nice smooth bends, were as some cars have the consantena type rubber pipe, that would restrict a little, but size depending. Air does increase in speed if it has no bends to go around, but its all getting mashed up into a turbo, compressed, pushed throught an intercooler, then fed into a cast aluminium inlet manifold, the inlet pipe is the least of the worries.

A

AndrewD

tuning the length of the pipe can make a big difference in power, as for example on both the intake and exhaust runners, the length can change the peak torque / power band by varying the length

changing the diameter of the pipe can change the velocity of the gas, and also the strength of the pressure pulse for pulse tuning and can lead to HUGE increases of power for money!

so YES IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE esp post turbo and lag also!!