Air con system almera

Nick K

Hi .
Has anybody attempted to repair/replace the air con system on a R with Nissan almera bits as its R134a opposed to R12? Was thinking of weighting up the compressor brackets etc when i take the engine out to sort out various leaks..

Nick K

There is a lot of things to check out with the old R12 system i.e compressor compatibility, hoses etc before or ever if it can run R134a. Has anybody tried running the R12 set up on R134a with any good results? from what I've read if you are going to spend the time converting the system over to R134a it might as well be done right and work correctly. I bet there is not a lot of difference fitment wise between the pulsar and almera setup's.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
its just the oil that's different, R12 was CFC and ran on mineral oil, R134a is HFC and runs on synthetic. I use the term 'ran' loosely, the oil is for the compressor only and because it is within a sealed system along with the refrigerant it needs to be compatible. The R134a contains Fluorine, this is the fraction of the refrigerant that wont mix with the mineral oil.

In short, drain the oil, replace the drier, refill with ester oil, vac and charge. Ester oil is hygroscopic and should be replaced anyways if you got your hands on an r134a system from an almera.

Hoses etc are all compatible, R12 and R134a running very similar pressures. An R12 to R134a is a very straightforward retrofit and very common overseas

bracpan

I have ALL the Pusar Aircon in a box....rad, compresor, pipes, brackets and the condensor...look in the parts for sale

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I could have sworn mine has a sticker to say it was converted... but that's moot since it was removed before I bought the car.

Nick K

its just the oil that's different, R12 was CFC and ran on mineral oil, R134a is HFC and runs on synthetic. I use the term 'ran' loosely, the oil is for the compressor only and because it is within a sealed system along with the refrigerant it needs to be compatible. The R134a contains Fluorine, this is the fraction of the refrigerant that wont mix with the mineral oil.

In short, drain the oil, replace the drier, refill with ester oil, vac and charge. Ester oil is hygroscopic and should be replaced anyways if you got your hands on an r134a system from an almera.

Hoses etc are all compatible, R12 and R134a running very similar pressures. An R12 to R134a is a very straightforward retrofit and very common overseas
My a/c is currently not there period! So if the original pipe for the R are compatible then I reckon I'll try a mix and match with the almera compressor, pulsar pipes, new dryer, any condensor really that will fit with a front mount!( fun part of fitment) and pulsar or almera evaporator depending if they are the same footprint... I'll report back when I have had a play a let you guys know if it actually works ;-)