Advice please on suitable GTI-R for Autosolos and Sprints

Bispers

I am wondering whether a GTI-R would make a good fast road car and one that I can also use in Autosolos and/or Sprints/Hillclimbs?

Autosolos are entry level motorsport where responsiveness, nimbleness and precision are more important than outright power. Cars have to be driven to events (not trailered) so reliability is important to get home again afterwards! Sprints and hilclimbs would make more use of power, but again good handling and brakes will be at a premium.

Having looked at this site I'm thinking that I might need a car of up to 300bhp, with boost at a moderate level (turbo lag would be bad), uprated brakes and upgraded and adjustable suspension.

I see a GTI-R is entered in the Sprint at Castle Combe tomorrow so I'll try to talk to that driver (may be Mark Turbo from this site?).

I'm sure that within this forum there's a wealth of knowledge and experience, so if you can offer me some pointers about what to look for and where I might find such a car I'll be very grateful. Thanks, Andrew

MarkTurbo

Yep that's me at castle combe tomorrow, just getting the car ready now.

Come over and say hello if you're going to watch.

vss irvine

theres a trackcar for sale on the modifiers forum. Guy called tk1. Buy that then stick a front diff in it. Job jobbed

bracpan

They are not to bad on the hills... :eek:)
But you will need a lot more than 3 to 4K....if you want to win.

Bispers

Yep that's me at castle combe tomorrow, just getting the car ready now.

Come over and say hello if you're going to watch.
Thanks Mark, I'm marshaling the startline, but will try to catch you during the day. Mind you if this fog takes a while to lift, there may be plenty of quiet time :sad:

Jon Olds

Agree, if you budget 2K for a half decent base vehicle, then add £1500 for safety kit. Then start you modifying. I had a vain hope of building my rally car for £5k, but, as ever, the budget gets blown big style

bracpan

Yes it took me nealry 6 years to get the car into a winning combination,,,,and I'm not even going to start working out the costs involved. As the wife might see the link...lol
I would start on Brakes and suspension as both are cr*p for the track. If its in the road going class you dont have to bother with, cage, seats, belts etc. You can add them as you go on. Then its the gearbox and engine...thats where the money will starts to build up.
But first get out on the track and see what its like, also dont foget to budget for, Licence, clubs, overall, helmet, gloves etc..
Cheers
Phil

Bispers

theres a trackcar for sale on the modifiers forum. Guy called tk1. Buy that then stick a front diff in it. Job jobbed
Thanks for pointing me in that direction - interesting. I may have missed the point on 'stick a front diff in it'. Can you elaborate please? Many thanks.

Bispers

But first get out on the track and see what its like, also dont forget to budget for, Licence, clubs, overall, helmet, gloves etc..
Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil, I have done a couple of sprints at North Weald Airfield so have those bits sorted. As you suggest that's probably the 'cheap' part compared to engine and gearbox upgrades etc! :)

vss irvine

gtir have an open front diff, buy a mechanical diff for it and ill transform the car.

especially with what you want to be doing with it.

front diff is in the transfer box btw

bracpan

I had good results with better brakes and suspension, then remapped the motor to 1.2 bar with a better exhaust and K&N Filter. it was around 300bhp and nicer on the road than it is now.. but not as quick.
After that it got expensive, with better g/box, front LSD, forged engine, bigger turbo, rollcage, lighter wheels, 1B tyres etc etc etc...