ADVICE ON NITROUS, WATER INJECTION, ALCOHOL INJECTION

B

beast14

HI GUYS...........AH REALLY NEED TO BEAT SOME GUYS UP HERE IN TRINIDAD CAUSE THEY COMING OUT WITH A LOT OF FAST CARS........I'M THINKING ABOUT RUNNING 'NOS' CAUSE I COULD BORROW A SYSTEM FROM MY FRIEND...........BUT I'LL ONLY USE IT ON TWO WEEKENDS - MAXIMUN 5-8 RUNS DOWN THE 1/4 MILE....AFTER THAT I'LL TAKE IT OUT AND RUN NORMAL......I HAVE STOCK INTERNALS/TURBO. I'VE FRONT MOUNTED THE INTERCOOLER AND WILL BE INSTALLING A TURBO XS MANUEL BOOST CONTROLLER TO RUN ABOUT 18-20PSI......I' VE ALSO GOT DENSO IRIDIUMS...AND A BOV....AND OH A 300ZX FUEL PUMP.........DO YA'LL THINK THAT I COULD TRY THE NOS SYSTEM...........OR YOU THINK IT MIGHT DAMAGE MY ENGINE...........
ANOTHER THING, ANY INFO. ON WATER OR ALCOHOL INJECTION WOULD BE APPRECIATED.........OR ANY CHEAP WAYS OF MAKING MY CAR FASTER!!!!!........................

S

Sirnixalot

no need to shout my caribbean brethrin.

I would strongly advise you not use nitrous with the stock pistons. The ring lands and rings themselves will not take the extreme cylinder pressures for long.

For you to safely run nitrous i would recommend forged pistons and rods.

If you run some race gas and 18psi and still want to use the nitrous..dont pass a 25hp shot unless you want to blow it up

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'll be surprised if your engine doesn't pop eventually with nos. Ginga (now P) has done his before now :wink:
I assume it gets pretty hot there, so I'd probably go with water injection.
You could try the nos and see how it goes, just make sure it's set up right and start with a small shot.
Don't know about the alcohol, probably better to drink it :p

What's a fast car there? (time wise)

Keira

The water injection will not make the car quicker but it will help eliminate det, the methanol is used to prevent freezing, not that this will be a problem in trinidad :wink: It does also have a slight affect on the octane rating of the fuel, again helping to prevent det.

I use 20 % meth mix in mine, and really have it to allow me to run 1.4ish maybe more :wink: bar on standard internals when i eventually get everything set up and not have to worry about cooling, this is on top of front mount and oil cooler. I know of others who've been running similar for some time so should be aok :roll:

A

AJ4

Dont forget the theirs two halfs to making your car quicker, up the power or drop the weight.

If you are only needing it for a couple of days, take out all the interior carpets and passenger seat, I stripped out mine and I reckon that along with losing the aircon made the car noticeably quicker ( a bit more responsive anyway ). The car weighs bugger all, so any weight you can lose has a big benefit.

B

beast14

fast cars down here is about 12secs. in the quarter...............which is where i need to be right now.............i'm probably mid 13's.........that's why i wanted to try nitrous.........so, you guys think i shouldn't really go down that road even if it's just for a few runs??........i saw that someone said i could try a 25shot..........maybe i'll try........but i guess i might be taking a lil chance huh.................thanks!!!

any other suggestions for that jump.......from mid 13's to mid 12's?????

Jamesw

Once you have upped the boost to 18 psi you should hit the mid 12's if you are giving your car serious grief down the stripie. Launching at around 5500rpm, sidestep clutch, and be Very quick with gear changes. a few on here have done it :wink: , so good luck! :D Water injection I think would be one of yur best options to keep things a little cooler out there.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
If you're wanting to run 18psi+ then a fuel controller at the very least would save your engine going POP :!:

And, as Ross says, strip EVERYTHING out that you won't need ; seats, spare tyre, boot carpet, interior carpet, glovebox, toolroll/box, car mats..everything :!: :p

B

beast14

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP GUYS............ONE CORRECTION I WANTED TO MAKE THOUGH...........FAST STREET CARS IN TRINIDAD MAKING 11S AND 12S DOWN THE 1/4 MILE BUT WE ALSO HAVE SOME SERIOUS BEASTS DOING 7S AND 8S!............FYI..........THANKS AGAIN....

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Curtis said:
Arn't top fuel drag cars running 3000+ BHP only 2 seconds quicker than that?
They're running over 5500bhp last time I heard and yes, doing 5sec 1/4s.

A fast bike is usually in the 10s.

7 or 8secs is serious V8 territory, probably a couple of thousand hosrpower. Hardly something I would call a road car, but you never know. :wink:

B

beast14

the car that did 7secs. is a camaro v8, yup!!!......serious power.......the others that do 8 and 9's are mostly rail cars/funny cars...........

A

Anonymous

im not 100% sure on this one but if you research a bit into the fuel nitromethane and find a correct/good ratio to mix it with say.. avgas you could most possibly see sum improvement without any damage as nitromethane is I think about 280 sumthing octane.
Also we have gtrs over here doin low 8s without their NOS shots and evo 1 to 3s doin high 8s and low nines and the evos are street cars all without NOS.
as for funny cars doin 8-9s yeah it would be funny to see an evo piss all over one