Acceptable dizzy cap wear

youngsyp

Right to cut a long story short, I'm moving on to the rotor arm and distributor cap now, to try to cause an intermittant hesitation.
I took the dizzy cap off at the weekend to have another check of the contacts and they had quite noticable deposits on them. I scrapped these off and gave them a quick rub with wet and dry. I noticed the pits in the contacts are noticable. Now, what is acceptable for wear on these ?

Probably a silly question but, I'm just trying to eliminate something else off the list and see what others experiences are !

I'm guessing the pits are around 1-1.5 mm deep !

nismoboy

if in any doubt mate just replace rotor arm and dizzy cap least u know there right then and tbh they cost fook all.

youngsyp

That's what I'm thinking and it's defo the best thing to do and I can't remember when they were last replaced !

The problem is that I don't change one thing at a time to try and eliminate that individual thing. I change that thing and fiddle with something else ! It's definitely got better since I changed the plugs (they needed doing as one was damaged), leads (they were at least 4 years old) and cleaning the dizzy cap. Whilst doing those things though, I fiddled with the TPS earthing, MAF earthing, all the ignition parts harness plugs, the injector plugs and drained the catch tank !

P

pulsarboby

nismoboy said:
if in any doubt mate just replace rotor arm and dizzy cap least u know there right then and tbh they cost fook all.
better to change them, their not expensive!
you also should not use wet n dry to clean contacts as it contains small metal particles that could cause tracking (firework display) inside cap, always use sandpaper or scrape contacts with small screwdriver or similar.

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
you also should not use wet n dry to clean contacts as it contains small metal particles that could cause tracking (firework display) inside cap, always use sandpaper or scrape contacts with small screwdriver or similar.
I gave it a blow out afterwards so, that should be fine but, I know what you mean !
I think I'll get some ordered tomorrow !

I just replaced mine as they were buggered. It's definitely fixed a brief hesitation problem I was having at high-rpm gear changes.