ABS Query

:? Just wonderin, i'm pretty sure i know the fundemental theory of how ABS works, but i don't understand how it actually works, if that makes sense. :? :? I'm also intrested in how fitting different callipers effects the performance of the system- i.e an ABS system working brakes that it's not supposed to work... :?:

Anyone care to enlighten me?!

MarkTurbo

Basically theres a sensor fitted to each hub and if any of the sensors detects a wheel locking under braking it sends a signal to the abs modulator (the unit near the passenger side strut) and this releases the pressure on the caliper for that wheel enough to stop it locking then the pressure is re-applied. It can do this many times a second which is what the pulsing you feel through the pedal is :wink:

Dont know if having after market calipers would affect it that much :? It should still work ok though with bigger brakes

:D Right, so the sensor is on the hub... I hope i never need to test if my ABS still works with big brakes. Mind you, Trax is only four days away.... :shock:

S

shaungtir

if you find that when you put bigger brakes on your R and the ABS doesn't work properly for what ever reason, just disconnect the two electric chocolate blocks that come through the body work near the struts(one either side), into your engine bay and onto a bracket. this will obviously render your ABS useless but if you try to play with the ones on the hubs and break them they cost about £200 sheets EACH. i had chew with mine a while back and this is the advice i was given. :D

Hmmm, never felt a pullsating thru my brake pedal come to think of it. Even at Trax braking hard from 100 to 40 or 50, wonder if it's been disconnected already. :?

I know on an R my car's age ABS was only an option, i presume that the fact i have the warning light on the dashboard means that my car's got it fitted?! :oops:

S

shaungtir

if the light is on all the time it means it's either f****d or it's already been disconnected :)

Comes on first key position, goes off again when started so i guess it's all good. Don't even know it's there- must be that i'm just such a good driver- i never use my brakes you see! :lol: :lol: Cheers mate.