A lot of rattles when starting form cold!!!!!

C

Connie Paa

Hi. When i start my R from cold it takes about 12-15 seconds for my oil pressure to build up,so for that time the car sound like S**T :? ,it's just noise from the engine running without oil pressure,but i think it should be quicker to build up pressure in the first place :!: I supose the oil pump could be tired but it works fine starting every other time as i said this is only when the car is cold. Has anybody had a experiance like this :?:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think you need to get someone with a decent mechanical knowledge to listen to your engine when it's starting from cold. It could be worn bearings (main, big ends etc) posibly your pump, but I'd have thought you'd be running low pressure all the time if that was the case.

jonee

oil

assuming the obvious such as the oil level and oil type are correct then my friend it looks like either worn oil pump or the main end bearings are heading towards their maker :cry: :cry:

good luck

jonee

C

Connie Paa

Thanks for the info lads :) All the oil levels ,oil type are good,and i've been driving my R for over a year now and i've done nearly 20,000 miles. In that time there was more than a few times where i had good blast,as you do 8) ,and i drove my R all the way to Italy, via Amsterdam :lol: and then the fastest drive of my life down through Germany on the Autobahn :shock: to Milan for the Formula 1. My point is that my R has always been starting like this from the day i bought it to right now,so i seriously doubt and hope that there isn't any problems like the bearings or any bottom end problems. Surely it would have blown up by now if there was.I have never had any problem with my R yet,shes a UK spec car so i figure thats why it's so reliable.Can ye tell me do yer R's start sweet from the first turn and how many seconds does it take for the oil pressure to build up :?: Thanks again :)

turblio

I would check the oil pressure regulater the rattle could be the timing chain
it sometimes sounds like a tinkling rattley noise and if you rev it, it goes
on start up, think the mains get fed with oil before the chain so you may be ok but I would check it for sure
Frank

C

Connie Paa

Thats a great idea Turblio :D I'll check that oil regulater a.s.a.p Thanks :wink:

M

madcabbie

You might also want to check you chain tensioner, We have just had a similar post in gtiroz. I would link it, but i am not sure you will be able to access it. here it is anyway. http://forum.gtiroz.net/viewtopic.php?t=1616

And heres a copy of the first couple of threads on the subject, incase you can't access.

""""Hi All,
I'm posting this here because there's bits and pieces about this subject posted all over the place.

Everyone should really change their chain tensioner. I've just done mine today, and it's a 20min job from turning off the engine to starting it again.

The reasons are... the original is known to leak down oil over a time of standstill, and you then get rattling on startup. Here is a good link.
http://www.zotz.com/nissan/proc/sentra_se-r/sentra_se-r_tensioner.htm
Although it's for sr20de, it applies to our engine as the pics he shows are exactly the same as our factory tensioner.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, the part numbers are 13070-2J203 for the tensioner ($84 today from Blackburn Nissan), and 13079-2J200 for the gasket ($15).

You need a 10mm ring spanner, and preferrably a 10mm 1/4" socket and driver. Use some threadlock when putting the nuts back on. Soak the new tensioner in engine oil to get it full before you put it in. Put it in hooked up, and it just releases itself when you start the engine.

Get to it by removing the radiator overflow tank, and going in front-2-back beside the rocker cover. The tensioner is just below/in-front of the brake master cylinder (but on the head).

As mentioned, I did mine today, and the engine is a LOT quieter."""

"""i guess you haven't baught yourself a new digi cam yet Peter?

i know with my car...if i leave it sit for the weekend...when i go to start it on the monday...it'll make a rattle sound until oil builds up...thenh it goes away...and the usual engine sound is there...but anything to make it quiet will help...

kelvin"""

Hope this helps

C

Connie Paa

Hey Madcabbie :) .That sounds exactly the same as my problem :eek: . I'll be changing that tensioner a.s.a.p, it's definately worth a try. Thanks a million :D :D :D and i'll let you know how i get on :wink: .

M

madcabbie

:wink: More than welcome.

Mine gets a little rattly the first few seconds of startup, but thats it. But I will be listening , so that if it gets any worse I too will be straight onto changing the tensioner.

I know I should do it now, but had mine off the road for 5 weeks, and really missed it. So now its back, I don't want to fiddle with it for at least a month... :roll:

Good luck

C

Connie Paa

My god :shock: 5 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: . I bet you have a huge smile on yer face everytime you drive ur R after being without her for so long :lol: :lol: :lol: . I've been so lucky(touch wood) to not have had one single problem with my R since i've owned her. So best of luck with yours for the future :wink: :wink: :wink:

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, the part numbers are 13070-2J203 for the tensioner ($84 today from Blackburn Nissan), and 13079-2J200 for the gasket ($15).

i ordered some today from nissan kendal, to do next week,
56 quid plus vat for tensioner and 8 quid for gasket,

hmmm

Sorry, I thought that was for a different car as it shows invalid part number when you enter it in the Nissan Fast CD.

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

it is for a sr20de basically same engine found in a gti, but nissan said they were same part no for gtir

M

madcabbie

Connie Paa said:
My god :shock: 5 weeks :shock: :shock: :shock: . I bet you have a huge smile on yer face everytime you drive ur R after being without her for so long :lol: :lol: :lol: . I've been so lucky(touch wood) to not have had one single problem with my R since i've owned her. So best of luck with yours for the future :wink: :wink: :wink:
Longest 5 weeks of my driving life I can tell ya.

My heart ached every time I walked past it, up on ramps :cry:

I can only but imagine how owners who have had there cars off the road for month can feel. :(

Got a mate picking his WRX up on Saturday, and we are lined up Sunday night for a race :twisted: . His has an STi Motor, Larger Turbo and Full exhaust, so It should be a good race I imagine. I will never hear the end of it if I lose, because I expect to still bea him. I have Twin Dump/ 3" Front and Cat, 17psi, Pod.....and 200kgs lighter, so should be fun.

C

Connie Paa

madcabbie said:
Connie Paa said:
Longest 5 weeks of my driving life I can tell ya.

My heart ached every time I walked past it, up on ramps :cry:

I can only but imagine how owners who have had there cars off the road for month can feel. :(

Got a mate picking his WRX up on Saturday, and we are lined up Sunday night for a race :twisted: . His has an STi Motor, Larger Turbo and Full exhaust, so It should be a good race I imagine. I will never hear the end of it if I lose, because I expect to still bea him. I have Twin Dump/ 3" Front and Cat, 17psi, Pod.....and 200kgs lighter, so should be fun.
Thats the job :D I love beating Subaru's :lol: :lol: :lol: . It should be close though :!: That bigger Turbo could be an issue :shock: . I hope you upset him on sunday anyway,best of luck :lol: :lol: :lol: . Let us know how you get on too :wink: