z32 piping etc

shroom

High guys got myself a z32 for my setup a while ago just wondering if anyone has any custom bits of pipework lying about for one, think its an 80mm size or something

snoon

When I was going down that route I found it cheapest to make my own with silicon reducers etc.

shroom

yer I was gonna do that just it was a perfect fit just inside the z32 for the standard silicone hose for a 2.5" pipe and the put another 80mm hose on top of that and clamp it down probably be easiest

shroom

looks like a proper job :D just 120 quid is expensive for some alloy pipe but I know what those damn silicone hoses cost

Fusion Ed

If you think you could be interested, and you don't mind black I can probably do you a better price...

Fusion Ed

I can knock £10 for blue and £20 for black. (I already have some of the pipework for black in stock that I bulk purchased so I can pass more of that on, than the blue)

shroom

cheers ed will see what is going on with my finances and look into it when I want to get all looking good rather than duck tape

Fusion Ed

Olliecast I did one with only silicone pipe before, using SFS pipes. When under boost they collapsed, so I did it this way instead, the pipes cant collapse and it gained 10hp in the process. (turbo intake restrictions have a really big effect on turbo efficiency)

olliecast

That's fine ed, my golf used to do the same when under boost.
Not had any problems with my setup currently but now you mentioned it I might fab a metal pipe up.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that ed's seems reasonable as it'll cost you 100 quid to do one yourself

Fusion Ed

Sorry yeah I was just saying about the silicone thing. TBH It surprised me. I didn't expect that there would be that much relative negative pressure on the turbo intake pipework. I have never tried to measure it on the intake to the turbo, and this prompted me to think about this more.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure I saw something on the GTR register a few years ago implying if a soft intake collapses there's excessive restriction on the inlet somewhere (filter?) and a hard pipe can disguise it as you can't see it collapse.

Fusion Ed

I would tend to agree, except this had a z32 and a new hks mushroom filter, which are known for letting pretty much anything through :). I put it down to the fact SFS pipes are pretty thin and have no side wall strength. Like I said though just changing that pipework had a big effect on power.

Fusion Ed

I'll see if i can find the graphs, It was around 1.4 bar I think. But Im guessing I can never remember what cars done what after a few months.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Is that the green HKS mushroom that has a reputation for breaking up and going down the intake?

rayman75

heres mine, i did move the battery but could of left it if i wanted to.

just 2x 3" 45degree elbows and some 3" silicone (and reducer for std turbo), didnt cost much to make found it all on ebay, cant remember how much it all cost me but wasnt exspensive no more than £60.