Would you sell a turbo like this????

Josh5794

Bought this md 196, not mentioning any names, johnsy, thinking it was a perfectly good turbo in good working order. When opening up the discovered that the actuator arm had bent and the turbo housing had rotated. This I new was obviously the crappy postal service and it was an easy fix so did not really bother me that much. What did really annoy me is when I found a massive crack in the housing when I was sorting out the bits I earlier mentioned, as you can see in the picture below.

Now when I politely questioned the seller,johnsy, this is the response (''I also see myself as a genuine person,You bought a used turbo that i had previously bought off another genuine member,and we both did'nt have any problems running this turbo,
Sold as seen to to speak,im not a trader so there are no terms and condiiton's

by the sounds of it the person you've gave it too has had it apart so im definetly not taking it back! sounds like he's broke it
Matter closed i do not wish to keep debating.'')

I did not want him to have the turbo back, I just wanted to come up with a solution to suit both of us but he did not want to hear any of it and did not even want to see a picture of it!! I wouldn't really mind normally but I have paid him a small fortune im pretty annoyed, especially when money is tight for everyone at the moment.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
They all have cracks in there housing, its a common thing with them...mine has a crack!

...and if the housing has been turned then turn it back to whatever position works for you, its only a few bolts to untighten and then rotate the housing...then tighten up the bolts again...simples!

Josh5794

Hi Pete and Josh,

The concern here is that the crack runs down into the turbine housing profile, otherwise known as the bit where the turbine wheel is. The danger is that this crack will lift when the housing heats up and catch the wheel, damaging the turbo. Really it needs a replacement housing….

Regards

Tom Russell

Turbo Dynamics Limited
20-21 Somerford Business Park, Wilverley Road, Christchurch, Dorset, BH23 3RU. United Kingdom

Fusion Ed

Not wanting to make light of a situation, but that crack doesn't look bad enough to cause a problem to me, simply based on the fact that thousands of turbos look like this. Disconnect the w/g penny and look behind it if that's any worse.

Would agree however that it should have been mentioned if not in the sale, but that aside it will likely work fine. Now if there is play in the shaft that's another matter.

P

pulsarboby

sorry josh but i agree with andy and ed above!
youll find it very difficult to find a turbo which is not cracked on the housing to some degree.
ive seen this turbo running in both dannys car and johnsys car at cadwell park and there was no smoke and car pulled hard through the gears.

now im not taking sides on this but you cannot expect a brand new turbo for s/h prices so if i were you i would just fit it

wrc

Damn.....

I'll have to take that off your hands, i suppose i could give you £50 for it as scrap.... :lol:

;-)

Josh5794

i would just fit it but when you pay good money for a second hand turbo it should be in top condition or (otherwise stated )
i have just had my engine rebuilt with expense everything is good would you put that turbo in the hope that it might be ok ???

wrc

Thats just classic t25 housing mate, my record is 7 cracks around the wastegate, car still ran and boosted fine....

If it hadnt happened already, it would eventually happen anyway. You'll be fine - of course turbo dynamics are going to say that, just a little scare tactic to get you to spend money.

I havent seen the original advert for the turbo, so cant comment on the description or the costing etc but that is also not our business - we can only comment on the picture.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
Hi Pete and Josh,

The danger is that this crack will lift when the housing heats up and catch the wheel, damaging the turbo. Really it needs a replacement housing….
This is just "sales talk" to make you think "OMG my turbo is knackered and I should spend £££'s with these peeps to get it sorted" (which you are doing now)!

Where in reality its fine and you can use it no problems (unless there is movement in the shaft as said above)

A second hand turbo will NEVER be in top condition as it is SECOND HAND!!! When you buy something second hand/used its not going to be in showroom condition is it? :doh:

If you've had your engine rebuilt with "expense" then why the hell have you not bought a brand new turbo and gone for a second hand turbo? :doh:

Your honestly barking up the wrong tree here...

MarkTurbo

Thats good for a second hand turbo. I've had a few over the years and some have been cracked worse than that with no issues with holding boost or any other problems.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
there's quite a few people on here reassuring you it will be fine. Don't take any criticism to heart, most people would be the same as yourself, but it is good when you get feedback from highly experienced members.

Just fit it, if it doesn't work THEN it's a problem

skiddusmarkus

Yet turbo companies keep making the housings out of this material despite the fact that most turbos go like this.If it was a big problem there would have been so many warranty claims that they'd be made from a better metal(even if it did put the price up).

Danny and Johnsy are both straight up fellas and wouldn't try and sell you shit, think you are just assuming this is abnormal when its very common really.

tonyrally

i just payed £800 quid for one mate an its got a couple of small cracks in it iv only ever seen one t2 that doesnt an it was off a ultra lowmileage ti ...

Josh5794

This is just "sales talk" to make you think "OMG my turbo is knackered and I should spend £££'s with these peeps to get it sorted" (which you are doing now)!

Where in reality its fine and you can use it no problems (unless there is movement in the shaft as said above)

A second hand turbo will NEVER be in top condition as it is SECOND HAND!!! When you buy something second hand/used its not going to be in showroom condition is it? :doh:

If you've had your engine rebuilt with "expense" then why the hell have you not bought a brand new turbo and gone for a second hand turbo? :doh:

Your honestly barking up the wrong tree here...
thanks mate for clearing up what second hand means thats really helpful!!!!! Glad your on this forum.
Unfortunately not everyone has £1200 to spend on a new turbo. But I take it everything you buy is brand new. Good input

tonyrally

mate i think fubar andy was trying to be helpfull not sarcy. u could have allways bought cheap an got a chinese copy that wouldnt have been cracked for a week. cracked exhaust housing are perfectly normal the cast expands an cracks with the heat> very simple physics indeed. aslong as the core is fine thats all that matters. tbh tho mate if you dont know alot about turbos an there workings i wouldnt consider fitting the turbo if you have just had an expensive motor built. only takes a kink or a damaged oil suply pipe an the engines scrap :)

Josh5794

mate i think fubar andy was trying to be helpfull not sarcy. u could have allways bought cheap an got a chinese copy that wouldnt have been cracked for a week. cracked exhaust housing are perfectly normal the cast expands an cracks with the heat> very simple physics indeed. aslong as the core is fine thats all that matters. tbh tho mate if you dont know alot about turbos an there workings i wouldnt consider fitting the turbo if you have just had an expensive motor built. only takes a kink or a damaged oil suply pipe an the engines scrap :)
the crack runs right into the core of the turboright through i am not bothered about hairline cracks around the wastegate its the fact it is where it is cheers

kirko

the crack is definitely nothing to worry about but should have been mentioned in the for sale advert
so the buyer has the choice of accepting it as 'normal' or buying a different one,
i know if i was selling a turbo i would be conscious of the fact it was cracked and would expect the buyer to
pull me up on it unless i had mentioned it beforehand

tonyrally

yeah but the turbo is in 3 parts exhaust housing, core an cold side the 3 diferent parts the crack cant jump across an start eating away at the core.