Won't rev past 6k in 4th gear?!?!?!

GTiRlover

Having a bit of trouble with my R lately, for some reason it won't rev past 6k in 4th gear, it just hits a brick wall so to speak and dies out! But as soon as I put it in 5th it keeps pulling again :?

Can anyone shed any light on what it might be? I have had a new fuel pump fitted but it still does the same :(

Ali

I

Innovate Performance

GTiRlover said:
Having a bit of trouble with my R lately, for some reason it won't rev past 6k in 4th gear, it just hits a brick wall so to speak and dies out! But as soon as I put it in 5th it keeps pulling again :?

Can anyone shed any light on what it might be? I have had a new fuel pump fitted but it still does the same :(

Ali
is it only in 4th or does it do it in 5th,3rd etc.. even if it does not seem so extreme.
what boost are you running?
and have you done a fault code check?

regards

James

GTiRlover

Only in 4th mate. I have just had it set up to just a tad over a bar but not had it set up on a rolling road yet so dont know if I have any fueling problems...

What do you think it could be?

Ali

I

Innovate Performance

GTiRlover said:
Only in 4th mate. I have just had it set up to just a tad over a bar but not had it set up on a rolling road yet so dont know if I have any fueling problems...

What do you think it could be?

Ali
Does it smoke we you get this problem (Black smoke) it may be over fueling or under fueling it is hard to tell.

what is fitted to the car?

Does it missfire?etc...

regards

S

stevenrsturbo@aol.com

check your oil level,, could be blocking out breather and overflowing,., not unusual.

GTiRlover

Innovative Performance- no it doesn't smoke at all and doesn't misfire either. Mods are, Forge fmic, walbro fuel pump, induction kit, unknown exhaust (3inch from the turbo back 8) ), and HKS EVC set up at just a tad over a bar. Although I had this problem before without the forge and EVC and fuel pump... :?

stevenrsturbo@aol.com- just had the oil and filter changed mate...

gavmc18- thats what I thought it could be mate cos its around 100 on the clocks when it loses all power. How did you correct the problem?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Ali

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It sounds like your speed limiter kicking in. Although I'd expect it to cut out in 5th too.

I've just cured mine by fitting a new delimiter. The old one was fitted in the engine bay :shock: not on the instrument pack and disconnecting it, putting the wiring back to standard and fitting the new one to the instrument pack got my speedo working again and stops me cutting out at max speed now :D

fil_gtir

This happened on mine when the ecu was not getting a speed reading. Faulty delimiter was my problem. Removed and converted to MPH to solve problem.

G

gavmc18

gavmc18- thats what I thought it could be mate cos its around 100 on the clocks when it loses all power. How did you correct the problem?
all i did was find the old speedo converter disconnected it all and soldered wires back together as it was down at the front drivers side next to the fuse box

and got a new one one that wired into the back of the dash 4 wires with instructions pretty simple job

gav

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
LeeSmith said:
why the oh no do you want to take your car past 6000rpm in any gear???
Because max power isn't until around 62-6400rpm on most Gtirs so why not use it. It's like having a 220bhp standard car but only using 200bhp of it :?

LeeSmith

lol!

i've never taken the car upto 6000rpm, i don't feel the need too! perhaps thats why i still have my pistons!!!!!! LMAO!

C

Crazy

Some of us have non standard turbos that pull right up to the redline so thats the reason why some of us may rev past 6000rpm :wink:

But only when needed :twisted:

And I still have my pistons, and yes they are standard :)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
LeeSmith said:
lol!

i've never taken the car upto 6000rpm, i don't feel the need too! perhaps thats why i still have my pistons!!!!!! LMAO!

This is a 16V engine, they are desinged to be revved. Why do you think Nissan put the redline at 7500rpm and max power at around 6200rpm?

If it was an 8V engine then fair enough, alot of them don't make much power over 5500rpm unless well tuned.

Bet you're easy meat for the 1.0L Corsa brigade :p