Won't Crank

Right, noticed the other night that the R was a bit slow in firing up, also the cranking was slow. So i thinks to meself bugger my battery's on the way out. Then the problem got worse like you would expect if your alternator wasn't charging the battery properly or if the battery wasn't holding charge. :?

This morning it wouldn't crank at all. I've tested it and it's fully charged so doesn't look like it's that or the alternator...

Fault code is giving 34 det sensor, although my instincts tell me this is a false reading down to low voltage when i try to start the car...?

Starter motor is a poss? Help please...

A

AJ4

Check the earth wire from the engine to the body, it might be frayed or broken. Do a resistance check from the bolt on top of the plenum to the battery negative terminal.

Thanks mate. Erm, few problems with that, or rather with me... :oops:

Where is the ground strap from the engine to the body? Found the one from engine to neg battery terminal, any good?!

Also- the bolt on the plenum- take it you mean the one that holds the black intercooler holder on?

Also :oops: :oops: :oops: i'm not sure how to do a resistance check... i set my voltmeter to 20k ohms and it came up -0.4??? i haven't got a clue what i'm doing :lol: :lol:

A

AJ4

lol, the earth strap from the engine to the battery is fine. There is a bolt on the top face of the plenum chamber, with a few wires attached to it that are used to earth the injectors.

For the resistance check, you want to use the lowest range possible. You used a 20k ( 20000 ohms ) range, your meter probably also has a 200 ohms range, thats the one you want to use. You should be expecting a reading of less than 1 ohm ( which is too small to read accurately on a 20000 ohm scale, use the 200 ohm range if you got one ).

Make sure the engine is switched off, as it can cause faulty readings otherwise. If you can't use the bolt on top of the plenum because you have a top mount or something, just measure on the bolt on the engine that connects to the battery ( the earth lead you already found ).

Cheers, test done at 200, showed 0.7 so that's all good then.

Even so, still no start... :cry:

I've also noticed when i try to start the car, the little symbol on the dash that looks like a double handled frying pan with heat coming out of it (think egt sensor?) lights up and i can't remember if this normally happens or not...

geetee

How did you test that the battery is holding charge?

Just because it shows 12V across the terminals doesn't mean anything.

Have you tried jump starting from another car?

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

Didn't know that geetee- that's how i tested it! :oops:

Unfortunately, i have tried starting it from another car- no good i'm afraid.

I'm beginning to think it's the starter motor- except i don't know where the starter motor is! lol :lol: :oops:

i've bleedin looked everywhere around the gearbox- can't find it, never had to look for it before!

A

AJ4

GeeTee is right, sounds like a flat battery :D You tried bump starting it ?

found the starter motor- looks fine. So, right, that's three people saying flat battery now. Makes no sense to me, but perhaps... Bump starting the R sounds like hard work... wish me luck.

Dooie Pop Pop

probably easier to bump than change the starter mate :wink: its at the back of the block under the inlet manifold
good luck! :mrgreen:

stu

paz

Alex,

I've had similar and it was a flat battery for me as well. When it had been stood for a while it just about managed to turn over the starter a few times, but wouldn't start then the battery died. When that happens the lights on the dash can come on (if there's a bit of charge left) but there's not enough to turn it over.

If you've tried starting it from another car check the cables you're using, I had a set that were shit and weren't transferring any charge at all ;)

Good luck ;)

Paz

Dooie Pop Pop

paz said:
Alex,

I've had similar and it was a flat battery for me as well. When it had been stood for a while it just about managed to turn over the starter a few times, but wouldn't start then the battery died. When that happens the lights on the dash can come on (if there's a bit of charge left) but there's not enough to turn it over.

If you've tried starting it from another car check the cables you're using, I had a set that were Skoda and weren't transferring any charge at all ;)

Good luck ;)

Paz
iv seen/had this too, crap leads and it wont turn :wink:

antgtir

From the description you told me over the phone mate, it certainly sounds like a flat battery, if it used to turn over sluggish then that would indicate to me a flat battery. If you carry on doing this without taking the battery off the car and charging it with a trickle charger over 24 hrs it wont work. The alternator isn't designed to recharge a flat battery so no matter how far you drive if the battery is over discharged to begin with it will never regain its full strength without the trickle charge :wink:

If the battery is over discharged it can lead to the plates in the battery burning out, so no matter how much you try and charge the battery or use leads from another car it will not work, effectively the circuit is brocken.

I would suggest that you source a different battery with the same terminals and cranking power and see if that works, if it does you know its the battery. Also carry out what is known as a "drop test" on your battery, this mimics the cranking of your engine i.e a high load on the battery, this will tell you whether or not the battery is knackered or not.

Goodluck, oh yeh and try and have a good hol today lol :wink: :lol:

Ant.

Thanks for yer help everyone. 8) The car is going in to the garage Monday for a battery test and probably (i reckon anyway) a new starter motor. :roll:

I'll keep you posted...