wondering about tyres

keastygtir

Does anybody think the R might be better off with stiffer sidewalled tyre, rather the soft ones like toyo or yoko?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Yes. It's subjective but I didn't like the feel of the Toyo's on the car when I bought it. Are you thinking trackdays or roads?

keastygtir

Road use. I currently use toyo t1r's and they grip plently. All the popular tyres used on the R (uniroyal rs2, yoko, toyo etc) are soft sidewalled i just wondered if you would get better feel from a stiffer sidewall

pulsar jamie

if you have a stiffer side wall you will have a more noisy ride
if you want a bollox all round tyre i.e wet or dry and hot day
get michelin pilot exaltos 2 when warmed up they are very very sticky and grippy tyre and are really hard wearing to which is bloody good considering if you want a sticky tyre they tend to wear down quicker but not these. a few of my mates have them on focus rs mk1, focus rs mk2, vw golf r32, volvo 850r all over 300 bhp and all say these are one of the best out there so it must be saying something
1 problem not that cheap but you get what you pay for

Last edited:

Spikey

I always run R888 even in the wet/damp they are good. but then i never used the pulsar as a daily...

skiddusmarkus

Best tyres I ever had were Bridgestone s02's which had a stiff sidewall.More grip than any others I've tried but when they started to slide I didn't get half as much warning as on Toyos.

chris g

Harder sidewalls on lower profile tyres are less helpful in indicating changing grip, sidewalls do not flex as much as tyre begins to lose adhesion and then bang, you are sliding or spinning towards an immovable object...