Winter tyres

skiddusmarkus

I had winter tyres on my old Laguna a couple of winters back. Without them I couldn't get off the drive and am about as experienced at snow driving as you can get as used to drive a van in it all day when it fell. I either learned how to get up and down hills with shit commercial tyres on or stayed where I was.

With them, it was like driving in the wet and didn't struggle anywhere. They're not great in the summer though, braking distance increases and they don't corner so well.

skiddusmarkus

I think I learnt this living in Flintshire; you keep the tyres spinning until the ice melts and they find grip? :twisted:

The night and day difference I've noticed was between "standard" tyres and the studded type you get in the Scandinavian countries.
Despite the old adage of sticking it in a high gear and letting the revs take it(true most of the time), sometimes this is the only way on a hill. It wrecks your tyres though as they overheat quickly.

vpulsar

Despite the old adage of sticking it in a high gear and letting the revs take it(true most of the time), sometimes this is the only way on a hill. It wrecks your tyres though as they overheat quickly.
I used to find the best way up a hill in the ice and snow for a rear wheel drive car/van is to turn around and reverse up.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah have done that too Rob but a lot of places I was delivering were double parked residential areas and needed to be able to see as much as possible. I started keeping a shovel and a box of grit behind my seat for the really tricky bits.