Why did you choose the R

MORF114

I saw one in max power years and years ago was a white one with a roll cage and he talked about cruises with the owners club in convoys he was a ginger and sold it and moved to aussie, his R was the reason i have always loved the look and shape and why i have always wanted one.

Plus i always used to see lou robs around when i used to live in N wales i used to see him on the a55 when i used to live next to the motorway and always loved the noise when he screamed past.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I bought an R because my wife said we couldn't get another Skyline:
We had an R33 GTS-T 4-door in Australia, but that just seemed to big and too thirsty for British roads. I had a Fiesta for a while, but it's just not the same; there's no booooost! (It's on eBay at the moment).

We had a friend who'd imported an R in Australia, and when my wife saw someone driving a black R on the A55 near here, she said that that should be our new car.
Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I got on with finding one and buying it. I haven't looked back.... except when I look at my bank statement.

I've been a Nissan fan boi for quite a while; over the years we've had: a Datsun 120Y (which just never stopped running even though the body was fallin apart); a Pintara wagon (Australian made version of the R31 bluebird/Skyline); the Skyline; and now the R. My opinion is that Nissan make incredibly good engines, but not such good car bodies.

CanadianR

My first car was a 1987 Nissan Pulsar N13 targa top. Friends and I were playing Gran Tourismo and we found the gtir. 2.0L, Turbo, AWD and for a good price so we bought it. It modded well and did pretty good in the game, so from then on it was no mention of any other car but the GTiR.

davey red.r

CanadianR said:
My first car was a 1987 Nissan Pulsar N13 targa top. Friends and I were playing Gran Tourismo and we found the gtir. 2.0L, Turbo, AWD and for a good price so we bought it. It modded well and did pretty good in the game, so from then on it was no mention of any other car but the GTiR.
me too few year back i had the gtir on tourismo,
had it up yo 440bhp,
loved that game8)

davey

Jon Olds

Alt to a cossy

My mate runs a group A cossy in tarmac rallying and I co-drive in it. Bought a road R to see if I could build a better tarmac car than his cossy for 2/3rds the cost.

Jury is still out. Needs more use/development

vss irvine

MORF114 said:
I saw one in max power years and years ago was a white one with a roll cage and he talked about cruises with the owners club in convoys he was a ginger and sold it and moved to aussie, his R was the reason i have always loved the look and shape and why i have always wanted one.

Plus i always used to see lou robs around when i used to live in N wales i used to see him on the a55 when i used to live next to the motorway and always loved the noise when he screamed past.

ive still got that feature! its up in the office of the workshop!

CanadianR

to add, now after I have owned mine for a while it does seem like an underdog.

In my city, we have alot of retards in Chevrolet cars and other crap like hondas and the occassional subaru. As well there are a fair few skylines (95% not GTR) and I liked the statements that the gtir would beat any skyline save for the GTR.

Before I left it was doing all of the above. People would roll up beside it, see that it was RHD and then try to take off all speed like and then I decide "well I guess I could have some fun" and in a pretty much stock R except for a fmic and fuel pump blow them away.

And another reason is coming on here and seeing the mods and power that everybody is making, the love hate relationships with their cars, and frankly can't wait to get a house with a garage or at least the snow to dry up once I get home in December so I can start playing with it again.

fil_gtir

I first saw an R at a Silverstone Touring Car Meeting in about 94. Had an Uno turbo at the time and mate had a Polo G40. Loved hot hatches and this Red Sunny looked amazing. The specs at the time for hatch were amazing.

Then Gran Turismo came out in 95, and having the Pulsar in that, and loving it, then GT2, then the import market kicked off and Pulsars were suddenly affordable.

After saving finally, I sold my Renault 21 Turbo, and bought a 92 black GTIR at start of 1999, (nearly bought a wrx, glad i didnt) for 9 grand.

Writ that off within 2 months, said I'd never have another as they are lethal machines, 3 months later bought a more powerful one for 7 grand, and its still sitting in my garage now, never been off the road for more than 2 weeks (and then only twice).

Love it.

Animaldaz

The main reason i bought mine because it was the only 2.0 turbo 4x4 car that i could afford that i could get my drum kit in. lol. And ive loved rally cars ever since i was a kid so i thought it was about time i bought one, even if it was a flop.

STEVEN878

first seen a pulsar when i was 17 when i was up at crail and a guy i know had a 400bhp one at 19, he decided to put it on the strip and destroyed pretty everything. so i had to have one but couldn't get insured obviously so had to wait till i was 21:( so 5500 later buying a mint standard one and 3000 on mods it lies in the driveway and wont start.

warringtonjack

The reason I bought my R, 4 years ago now, was because I went to a garage to have a look at a standard 200sx, I liked the car so I phoned my insurance. They wanted just over 2k for a years insurance. :shock: :shock: So, just to take the pi$$, knowing the R had the same engine, was quicker, lighter, and 4 wheel drive, I asked her to quote me on an R, expecting a massive figure! She came back and said 900quid. :shock:

After I recovered from the shock, I spent the next month looking at R's until I found one for the right price. I bought it without knowing too much about them, and could easily have bought a dog, but its turned out to be a very reliable car!! :thumbsup: {looking for some wood to touch, oo er missus :lol: }

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Bought mine back when I was 18 Years old.

Loved the fact that it was the underdog 4x4 2L Turbo! Looked hard as nails. Fooking quick. And wanted a quick first car..

Strangely i have never been able to part with it and have kept it ever since.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
I had a 205 MI16 and a 33 GTR and needed to sell the GTR to free up some money. So I decided to sell both and buy something in the middle. I wanted something small like the 205 as prefer a smaller car, but also wanted a turbo and similar performance to the GTR. I was going to get an R before the GTR and had always wanted one so was an easy choice

chrism

First time I saw an R was at crail thrash dash. I was in my 205 gti and I got absolutely hammered by an R.I ran 15 something and he ran around 13. It was then I decided Id get one at some point.It took me 8 years and a move to another country. The funny thing is I bought one from ricky in kirkcaldy about 20 minutes from crail.

allsmiles

i chose the R as i am a hot hatch lover at heart, and being an owner of a renault 5 gt turbo i thought it was natural to move up a level while still wanting a hot hatch

the car that fitted the bill was the gtir, not keen on the new chav mobile scoobies, evos are pretty cool but its a saloon and a pulsar can be just as quick :-D

Sween

My dad bought a Nissan Sunny 1.4 on an H plate back in 1990. Was his first ever brand new car and I would still have been young so it made an impression. When I was 17 my dad gave it to me as my first car, even though it was worth about 400 quid :) )

Being young and stupid I dreamed about dropping in a 2.5 V6 and making a real street sleeper and so Pulsar's kinda came up. Fell in love, realised insurance costs and gave up.

Then about 4 years after I had a bad accident in my Ford Focus I had bought :s and with the insurance money bought a sensible 500 quid mondeo which left plenty of change so thought....... why not :D

That was nearly 3 years ago and I have never looked back. Puts a smile on my face just to turn it over. That added to the ability to destroy most things on the road with the whole underdog idea works for me a treat. Can't see me ever selling up