Why did 2nd gear break on my car?

MarkTurbo

Just wondering what the causes might be thats all :?

I was 99% sure when i did it that i'd just stripped the teeth off 2nd :cry: as all the other gears were ok and selecting them was not a problem :)

I dropped the engine over the weekend and took the end casing off the box to have a look and just as i thought, no teeth on 2nd gear :( Everything else seems ok though :p

Why would it break though? Can't be due to power. My car is only running standard boost and the only mods are a blitz air filter and full goose system so its probably only around 240 bhp. Its not as if i've got a really harsh clutch either, its an AP organic.

Any idea's???????

E

Edd

is it the original box?
As i know you broke a box before didn you? If you got a replacement it could have been used in a high powered car before or possibly had lots of dodgy gear changes to 2nd :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might have had a hard life before you got it.
It could have just gone in gear wrong and said goodbye....

GINGA

If a piece of loose metal (small part of chipped tooth etc) that was loose in the box got trapped inbetween the gears that could well cause the teeth to break and once one has broken the rest will follow :(

A

Anonymous

the recon box was prob rebuilt with the same 2nd gear that was in it originally.the guy that split the box has probably looked at 2nd gear and it has "looked" ok with no visible cracks or chips.

even though the torque output of a std,or near std,engine is well within the torque capacity of the gearbox,given enough time and enough full throttle applications in 2nd gear,it will weaken the teeth sufficiently for them to strip off.

do you not have any warranty left on the box as it`s usual to get at least 6 months :?: it might also be worth your time to tell them you suspect the box was rebuilt without renewing 2nd gear :wink: