Which turbo?

Sween

Ok since you guys were so helpful suggesting places to get my ECU remapped I thought i would try my luck again and ask for some advice with turbos.

I am currently torn between 2 different turbos for my Pulsar.

I require something that will flow anything up to 400bhp but i also need something that will not be too laggy. I have been reccomended 2 different units and wanted to get your advice and possible experiences with each one to help me to make my decision. Alternatively if anyone has anything else to suggest I am all ears but I am on a tight budget :lol:

The first turbo is the Garrett GT2871R

and the second is a alsightly more custom unit

GT3071 turbocharger
.64 A/R turbine housing
Machined into standard cover for stock fitment
Uprated actuator to 1.0bar

Can anyone help me with this decision?

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
GT3071R with a 0.63 housing will not be laggy and will see you to 400bhp and close to 400lb.ft at between 1.4 - 1.6bar boost..

There is also an option of the GT2971R from Turbo Dynamics via Ashills.. It should give you the power you are after with a slightly quicker spool..

Adam L

The .63 is a T3 flange and won't set in until about 4.5k rpm. Must be a typo:lol:

Why downgrade from the stock a/r? I've never understood that...

Just so you know, the 3071 isn't laggy. If you fit smaller casings to it it's going to be a peice of shit. You're ultimatley restricting a turbo that was designed to make power. Keep the .86 and .50 a/r's, you'll be happy with them.

Last edited:

Sween

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. i am currently leaning towards the gt3071r from the experiences I have heard. Oh and Mark I ay very well take you up on that offer buddy :-D 8)

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
If you go for the 3071 with a .64AR, Its very good but make sure you get the internal WG ported or you will get surge as it likes to spool.

Trondelond

Sween said:
Machined into standard cover for stock fitment
I know intercourse all about the turbo sizes, so.. how is this done? Will this be the part where the turbo becomes restricted?

carlengerer

I always thought a 2871 (t28 turbine with 71mm compressor) is more of a high flow turbo than the 3071 (t3 turbine with 71mm compressor). If there is any surge problems its more likely on the 2871, even if you get the smaller .63 A/R ext turbine housing on the 3071.

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
Don't forget the GT3071 will need some fannying around to fit - the GT2871 fits straight on (depending on your inlet size you may need to grind a little off the gearbox case, but only a few mm). The GT2871 with 0.86AR is on full boost nice n' quick with no real lag - guess it depends how big your wallet is!

Cheers,

donpulsar :)

Trondelond

donpulsar said:
Don't forget the GT3071 will need some fannying around to fit - the GT2871 fits straight on (depending on your inlet size you may need to grind a little off the gearbox case, but only a few mm).
Oil and water fits straight on as well?

Adam L

donpulsar said:
Don't forget the GT3071 will need some fannying around to fit - the GT2871 fits straight on (depending on your inlet size you may need to grind a little off the gearbox case, but only a few mm). The GT2871 with 0.86AR is on full boost nice n' quick with no real lag - guess it depends how big your wallet is!

Cheers,

donpulsar :)
My 3071 fitted with no ''fannying'' about. It was a bolt on job that took 15 minutes. Mind you, my engine wasn't in the car at the time.

With regards to a/r's... Just because the turbine wheel is smaller, it doesn't make it a more responsive turbo. Think about the area the exhaust gas has to build up to get the wheel to the designated rpm. Now put the GT28 wheel against the GT30, which one takes up more area? thus recuding the a/r slightly... Even though they're printed as the same...

The GT28 uses the same trim exhaust wheel as a 200SX/Rover 200, so why on earth would it be any better than the stock shaft that's larger to start with?:lol:

MORF114

The only fannying about you will need to do is the exhaust elbow holes will need drilling larger or pencil grinded larger as will the oil return bolt holes its not as easy as just bolting it on, but im not saying that enlarging a few holes is a hard job lol.

Just dont get a 4" inlet as you will be fannying about for a bit trying to get everything to fit properly.

Adam L

Ok, that part slipped my mind:-D. The oil drain needs customising... That was easy for me as I managed to knock up a nice stainless flexi pipe. The GT cores run M8 screws on the return rather than the M6 the T series uses, plus the comp housing nearly fouls the block entry:lol:. The only mods that needed doing to the elbow was one of the bolt holes (I'm not using the stock elbow either), that only needed elongating slightly. Although when I fitted my elbow gasket I had to trim 3 of the holes off because they caught three of the studs.

It's still easier than it sounds. You're going to have to make the same modifications regardless if you're running a GT series turbo.

Sween

Thanks for all your advice guys I eventually decided to go with the Gt3071R unit which was sent to me by Owen developments. Who by the way are a top bunch and i would highly recommend them to anyone else.