Which Turbo

B

blr123

Hi guys,

OK simple question, what benefit's do you get fitting the MD188 turbo as opposed to the MD172 turbo :?:

Cheers Bryan

G

gotoinstant-redline

more lag.. err thats not really a benifit is it. umm more power at the top, higher rate of gas flow, more boost...

tbh i dont know anything about turbos, but it isnt that hard to find info on the net if you sped 45mins searching around.

L.

B

blr123

Yeah L I saw that but it doesn't actually say what the benefits are of 1 over the other :wink:

Cause I'm like you, don't know the first thing about them :roll:

Cheers Bryan

A

Anonymous

I have the MD172 bought it through Norris designs, it is there ND super Hybrid, exactly the same turbo. The difference is the compressor wheel size between the MD172 & MD188 see at bottom of page. (apart from that they are exactly the same spec).

Im runnning 1 bar and there is more lag than the std T28 but definately more torque & it sounds wicked (nice sound the std turbo didn't produce).

I'd say steer clear of the MD188 if ur not running High boost as you will have too much lag and lose drivability.

PS If you want the MD172/Norris designs super hybrid buy it through Norris as its cheaper than buying it direct through Turbo Dynamics which is weird. They require your old tubby or you can pay £150 and keep your old one.

STAGE 1 - £795.00 excl vat

MD172 High flow 47.5mm compressor wheel, re-profiled 0.60 A/R compressor housing, 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, left hand thread shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.86 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator.

Output recorded – 305 B.H.P. – 224 FT/LB @ 14 P.S.I.

STAGE 2 - £850.00 excl vat

MD188 High flow 48.29mm compressor wheel, re-profiled 0.60 A/R compressor housing, 360 degree ramped thrust bearing, left hand thread shaft & wheel fitted with staggered gap/ total seal turbine end piston ring fitted, 0.86 A/R turbine housing uprated 14 psi actuator.
Approx 350 BHP

A

Anonymous

If the MD172 is good enough for Norris Designs 370bhp conversion its good enough for me

Price: £7499 (incl. VAT)

Mongoose Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Greddy Boost Controller, ND Gp A Fuel Pump, Front Mounted IC Kit, Dastek Unichip, HKS FCD, ND Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit, ND Fast Road Engine, ND Super Hybrid Turbo, HKS Camshafts, HKS Valve Spring Kit

(Note Price Does Not Include Fitting)

chrisniss91

I have the ND super Hybrid turbo, and when the car left the workshop was on standard boost and it had been on 1 bar b4 with the hybrid turbo :shock: The car felt slow laggy i was very upset but then i had the boost controller fitted and 1.1 bar and it is faster and torquery than ever :lol: really pleased now :lol: