which turbo for 400-500bhp

G

gagge

hello. Dont want to reveal the mods right now but I will be boosting a maximum of 1.6 bar and hoping to hit somewhere between 4-500bhp.
Now the question is which turbo to go for. Thed double bearing JGYBB37 - TO4B from JGY customs looks perfect for the job but is there any other turbo that can match this one but for a better price maybe?

Thankful for all tips, I would prefer to have good spoolup to so Im not interested in big diesel truck turbos :)

regards
Gagge

G

gagge

whats the brand of that turbo, those numbers dont say me anything :lol:
And also how much does it cost? any more info about it? ballbearing for example?

Cheers mate

GINGA

I have the largest jgy turbo and you won't get 500bhp at 1.6bar you might see 450 though :wink: but you'll need at least a decent dump pipe and probably a better manifold aswell :wink: I'll be doing this soon so we'll have to see how it turns out :D

GINGA

mattygti-r said:
yep its HKS,

they are quite cheap really too
:shock: until you add the custom/modified manifold for external gate, the external gate itself, custom downpipe and wastegate pipe, custom intake and intercooler piping etc to make it work :wink: you could probably add another £1k to the price of the turbo for that little lot.
Though if I was to change turbo or do it again I'd probably go with the 3037 or greddy 25g setup 8)

E

Edd

cool matty i might need a spare when i blow mine usuaing launch control at every junction and antilag :wink: :lol:

M

memski

GINGA said:
mattygti-r said:
yep its HKS,

they are quite cheap really too
:shock: until you add the custom/modified manifold for external gate, the external gate itself, custom downpipe and wastegate pipe, custom intake and intercooler piping etc to make it work :wink: you could probably add another £1k to the price of the turbo for that little lot.
Though if I was to change turbo or do it again I'd probably go with the 3037 or greddy 25g setup 8)
Yes, does work out quite expensive even if you can get the turbo cheap, shame HKS don't do a kit for the R :(

Keira

when i saw edds car last weekend it looked like it had a standard t28 with wooden breather intake plug :lol:

engine building at its very best :lol:

G

gagge

This is my situation. I will be doing a custom exhaust including the turbo elbow and custom piping for the intercooler anyways so thats no worries. However I was still thinking of using the stock manifold. So the question is, which is the best choice, the JGY one or the HKS one, how much will the HKS be with the external wastegate, custom manifold and the custom manifold for the external wastegate ?

To ginga: If Im able to get 450bhp I am more then satisfied, the goal is over 400.

Thanks for the help and keep the discussion up, any other options then the JGY or the HKS one ?

Cheers

GINGA

tbh if you just want over 400bhp on 1.6bar the jgybb37 would probably be the better choice over the jgybb37r version.
Theres also the hks gt2835R thats rated at 420bhp but thats pretty much the same as the jgy turbo really expect the jgy turbo is a dircet fit on the standard manifold where the hks version will require a spacer between the head and manifold due to its 4" inlet which is a bit over the top for 400bhp imho
The 3037 can be fitted to the standard manifold but it will require modifing for use with a external gate and if you went for the one's with the 4" inlet you'd need to space the manifold from the head again :wink:

R

robinsongtir

I would go with a Garrett GT series GT30 turbo these are available with internal wastegates and are good up to 480bhp but you would need to run more than 1.6bar boost to acheive this so roughly you can expect 450bhp from 1.6bar.www.atpturbo.com should be able to sort you out with this turbo for a cheap price and reliable service I would contact by phone though

G

gagge

as I see it the JGY one is the one to go for.
will call atp tomorrow just to see what they have to offer.

ashills

ive got the jgy 37 on mine no probs so far very happy with it and run upto 1.5 bar so far but everyday is 1.3 at the minute
i hope to see close to 440-450 at 1.6-7 bar but we'll see (might go pop before then LOL)

Nad

There are better Turbos than the 3037 out now, same power and spool upfaster. They are on the atp site.

Nad