Which Hybrid?

Animaldaz

Im in the market for a hybrid turbo, a tweaked t28 is all i really need. The two main companies seem to be turbo technics or turbo dynamics, has anyone had dealings with either of these companies? Or indeed used their turbos? Which do you think has the edge? Or are they pretty much the same thing?

Opinions appreciated:)

Sam_M

Darren, ive got a Turbo Technics Turbo, now my oil is flowing how it should the turbo is wonderful :), not exactly sure what the specs are but I will find out, Its a Roller Bearing which can run up to 26psi, so obviously at 1 to 1.2bar it`ll be very efficient and well within its range.

What ive noticed is, its slightly more laggy than the standard turbo, but when it spools up it spools up hard and doesnt feel like it runs out of puff up in the rev range. Still a very responsive Turbo.

You could also look into a company called Turbo Developments http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/ who are based in London, when I had my 11 Turbo most of the ownser club used their hybrids and they built me a T2/T25 which was fantastic on that car, we all used the turbos for trackdays and never skipped a beat. I was going to use them to build a turbo for the Pulsar but I had the Turbo Technics turbo built for me for free as I was owed alot of favours.

The other option is to just get yours rebuilt with a roller bearing and then you wont be at the limit of the T28 running 1bar. I guess really, you just want a T28 that can run 1 bar or a little more all day long without running out of puff.

I have found that Turbo Dynamics dealers say turbo technics are rubbish, and Turbo Technics dealers say Turbo Dynamics are rubbish, both are pretty much the same I rekon.

Sam

Animaldaz

Thanks for the replies lads,
Im only after 300bhp and as my turbo has a fair amount of end float in the shaft the logical thing to do is have mine rebuilt into a hybrid or just buy one.
Ive been to view a second hand turbo technics which was in very good nick, Ive also got a quote from turbo dynamics to rebuild mine in both standard or hybrid form. So hence why I was after opinions of both firms.
Sam, ive been meaning to give you a bell about this as I know you recently had one fitted. Ive also emailed the firm you suggested to get a quote.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
If you don't mind me asking, whar were the quotes you got for teh re-builds?

Animaldaz

Turbo dynamics want £300 for a standard rebuild and £500 for a hybrid rebuild, both of those are plus vat and are dependant on the condition of your turbo to start with, so if a major component was worn then the price will go up.

Animaldaz

Why is that? Does it come down to little gain for the extra money? your basically paying to have a roller bearing.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Why is that? Does it come down to little gain for the extra money? your basically paying to have a roller bearing.
Because the turbo in the link makes less power than the standard one will. It'll be cheaper to get it rebuilt, or as Ed says, why change it at all for 300bhp. The standard turbo is more than upto that.

Try speaking to AET turbos as well. I don't know how they compare price wise, but they one of the top turbo companies.

Animaldaz

Why change the turbo at all if all you want is 300bhp?
Im only changing due to mine being worn out, if im going to the expense of replacing/rebuilding mine then i may aswell upgrade. Id be happy with a t28 that will run over a bar all day long so going for a hybrid will help secure that idea, well it does in my eyes.

http://www.turbodevelopments.co.uk/
the company above got back to me and are alot cheaper then turbo dynamics so ill probably go with them for a rebuild.

Sam_M

Darren I forgot to say, a guy from this forum ADAM L works for TD, and most likely will be rebuilding the turbo. he is on RTOC aswell. They are an excellent Turbo company, I think most of RTOC use them, :lol:

Animaldaz

Thanks sam, the guy that left a message on my answer phone was called Adam so i guess thats him, think ill give him a pm. Im guessing RTOC stands for renault turbo owners club?? Im sure Sam will confirm.

Animaldaz

Right got my turbo back from Turbo developments today, very happy with the service I received from Adam and final price was reasonable. I had to have the turbine housing replaced due to bad cracks, this is what caused the wear on the thrust bearing. Ill report back once ive fitted and run it in.