?? which bolt??

Gaz gtiR

hey guys ive just fitted a new standard turbo to my R. problem is theres 4 bolts that oil flows threw. example: 2 from the block to the turbo & 1 of them conncts to back orf turbo. & 1 is water feed. now all the bolts look the same 19mm bolts. BUT 1 of them isnt opend out for flow. 1 has a small jet in 1. looks like a jet size hole you would have in a carbureta. dous any1 know where this bolt go's?? :? :roll:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Er... logically you should have: 1x oil in; 1x water in; 1x water out; 1x oil out.

The one on the bottom is the oil return (because it gravity feeds into the sump), but I think you've worked that out.

Maybe a picture would help?

MarkTurbo

The 3 banjo bolts on the turbo water lines are all 19mm and the oil feed banjo is smaller, which one has the restriction in it? Whichever one it is it doesn't sound right.

Gaz gtiR

im talking about the 19mm bolts that have copper washers on that come off the block to the turbo. there is 4 all together 2 go in the block. & the other 2 go in to the turbo. they all have copper washers on to stop leaks. but tho hole that go's threw the bolt that acts as a jet is very small. like you say could be a restricter bolt?? but which hole dous it go in to?? CONFUSED.COM lol

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If you look at the link I posted and check the pages near it relevant to the turbo and read what me and mark put you should be able to work it out.
I'm sure the two banjos on the block are different sizes and if the other 2 on the turbo are the same then you have 3 the same and one smaller. the bottom hole on the turbo is the oil drain, so none of them connect there, the oil feed doesn't have a banjo on the turbo, it's the one opposite the drain. That leaves the other 2 as having banjos with one pipe having banjos on both ends.

Gaz gtiR

ive had a look on that link mate but cant find wot im looking for?? if all the holes in the bolts are different sizes i need to know which of the 4 holes they go in to?? :/

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check your banjos again. According to me and Mark there are 3 banjos the same and one smaller. The 3 are for the water lines. I wasn't aware that the holes in them are any different, so they should go anywhere. The oil one goes on the block and will probably be different.

I'll be doing my turbo soon, so I'll have a look when I do it, but that won't help you now.

Gaz gtiR

haha SORRY every1 my bad :oops: how thick am i! cant believe ive done this. lol i just spoke to bob at gtir r us & looked at all 4 bolts and 3 of them are 19mm & the other 1 is 17mm so its self eplanitry where it gos... :roll: :der: :oops: sorry for the wasted post & ur time lol. lesson learnt haha

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Likewise, I thought the water and oil lines were different sizes; it's a poka-yoke to prevent exactly this kind of problem... at least that's what I thought.

So, is it actually a standard turbo or is it a newer equivalent? - I would have thought the connectors were the same.
Are these standard lines you've got or uprated braided jobs? - Maybe they sent you the wrong kit. Mine has a steel line taking water into the turbo rather than a hose.

Following the advice above I'd guess that the two that are the same are both water lines, and the one that's different is the oil in. If it seems to have a restrictor, that suggests it's meant for a BB core turbo (because it needs a lower oil pressure than a journal bearing).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
haha SORRY every1 my bad :oops: how thick am i! cant believe ive done this. lol i just spoke to bob at gtir r us & looked at all 4 bolts and 3 of them are 19mm & the other 1 is 17mm so its self eplanitry where it gos... :roll: :der: :oops: sorry for the wasted post & ur time lol. lesson learnt haha
So after us telling you exactly that more than once you didn't believe us?:lalala:.

Was there any point in asking us?:noidea: