wheel weight

rossdj1983

just bought a set of stupidly light 16" oz wheels, a friend of mine recons that for every kilo you take off the wheel its the eqaulivent of taking out 25 kilos from the car weight. is this bollo(ks or not?

rossdj1983

i thought as much, they are 5 spoke 205 16" white oz rally wheels, not sure on the make, they bein repowdercoated at the mo, will get them on the scales soon as they are done. ive been through loads of nice wheels, but these take the pi$s for how light they are

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'll be interseted to see which one it is as the only light OZ I know is the superleggera multispoke.

Trip

Having lighter wheels will always to your advantage.

The whole thoery comes into place when upgrading to a bigger size. The bigger the wheel the more weight is transfered further to the centre of the wheel. Remember physics lessons about weight and pivots :)

Also note that a 16" tyre is heavier then a 14"

Lighter and bigger wheels at the end of the day will probably net nothing regarding weight reduction/ inertia Vs smaller/haevier wheels.
You will gain a better contact patch (foot print) , better room for a bigger brakes. and more stress on the drivetrain.

rossdj1983

ill get some pics up soon as they are done, dont think they make these ones anymore, ive had leggras ages ago these are way lighter

bracpan

Light wheels are also a great help to aid unsprung weight on the car, as this cant be delt with by the cars suspension.
I am seriously thinking of going down to 15ins wheels for racing next year. I have found a 15ins wheel that just fits over my 310mm discs and Willwood calipers.
Plus the wheel is only 5 kgs. Will be interested to see the weight of your wheels.
Cheers
Phil

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bracpan said:
Plus the wheel is only 5 kgs. Will be interested to see the weight of your wheels.
Cheers
Phil

Me to, bet they weigh a ton really:lol:

(My 16s weigh 5.1kg)

15" Oz Superleggera? They give good clearance and weigh sod all.

scottyd

spoon sw388 or desmond regamaster evos are wicked wheels, and possibly the lightest wheels you can buy
388 is for 3.88kg

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
scottyd said:
spoon sw388 or desmond regamaster evos are wicked wheels, and possibly the lightest wheels you can buy
388 is for 3.88kg
For a 15x6.5 it's light. But at 16x7 it's heavier than my Volks:nerner:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
scottyd said:
erm :spy: i ws basing the info on 15s:tongue1: :-D

what volks do you have, te37?

I know you were that why I said for a 15x6.5 it's light.

But a 16x7 sw388 or Evo (same wheel I gather) is heavier than my 16x7 volk te37s by a few pounds.