Whats the standard Exhaust size??

M

madcabbie

Whats the standard exhaust size guys?

I think mine is 2.25" which i am told is almost all you need. That or 2.5". But any larger doesn't do any more good.

I am told its all about the dump , front pipe and cat size which needs to be larger.

Rock on

A

Anonymous

from what i remember, its the first 18" of the exhaust system that is the MOST important. anything that restricts the flow of the exhaust gases is gonna be bad though....

MarkTurbo

The standard exhaust uses 2 inch pipework which is really restrictive :(

As far as power output goes the best exhaust on a turbo car is as big as possible, or ideally no exhaust on the end of the turbo :shock:

I can see a back pressure debate coming on here :lol:

T

Tart

Yep, my 3" straight through pipe with 5" back seems to do the job!!! 8)

youngsyp

As Markturbo say's, the best thing for a turbo car is as big as poss. Modern cars do not require back pressure to perform correctly, whether N/A or force induced. Infact, it will be detrimental to performance.
Ideally, you would want a 3" i/d system from the turbo back, including the elbow. The most important part. However, as the gas goes down the pipe, it will cool and as a result, slow down. Not beneficial from a power point of view. To counteract this, you could taper the exhaust down to 2.75" or 2.5" to keep the gas at a constant speed. As I say, the starting point should be the elbow and downpipe. This is extremely restrictive in stock form and, imho it is a waste of time replacing the exhaust system with a performance item before changing this.

HTH

Paul

M

madcabbie

Thanks guys.

Well I know I have atleaast got some aftermarket exhaust on then as i am sure mine is 2.25"

Think I need to find a dyno to check out performance before I get to modding it.

One thing I found out yesterday is mine still has that damn speed limiter on :evil:

Car reached 180 klm at 5000 then went another 250, to 5250 when it cut out......bastards......

mohsan

down pipe

i need to know about this restrictive down pipe,not sure if ive changed mine yet,where on the car is it exactly can i see a pic,i think i need one asap.
ive decated the car,and have a stainless mongoose all way through, aint done the exhaust manifold,wheres the down pipe? how much are they?

MarkTurbo

The front pipe is the section from the turbo to the cat.

So if you've got a full mongoose system then you'll have replaced it already :wink:

mohsan

cheers

cheers for that,thats always been on my mind,so the down pipe is after the decat?going away from the engine to the rear of the car?
ha d afull stainless steel from gtir spares brand new,so it would contain this down pipe?

youngsyp

The frontpipe/downpipe is attached to the turbo elbow. This then attaches to the cat or decat pipe which, will attach to the rear section of the exhaust. So, the downpipe is at the front of the car.
As Markturbo say's, the frontpipe/downpipe will be changed as part of the Mongoose system but, you will still have the very restrictive 2" ish turbo elbow in place. To change this, you will need to get one fabricated as no 'tuners' make them. This should be fairly cheap as, it's not very big. But, it may take a while to create, depending on who does it. You could try talking to Hayward & Scott as they have a jig for one. They may be able to post one out.

Cheers

Paul