What suspension?????

S

smcnairn

Mine is sitting on standard springs and shocks and would like to lower it and wondering what suspension set up does any one recomend?? bearing in mind i have 17" wheels.

G

GTiRich

My firsr recommendation is take off the 17"s and go for some 15"s but thats just me tho :oops:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What size tyres do you have on the 17s?
I guess it depends how much you want to spend and what sort of ride comfort/handling you're after.
You could go full coilovers, maybe abit hard for our roads. Or standard dampers and Whiteline lowering springs.

S

smcnairn

205 40 17 are the tyres i have. the wheels arnt on the car yet was wanting it lowered first.

G

GTiRich

I used to have 17"s on a lowered R. The ride was so uncomfortable. Every time i hit the smallest dent in the road stuff in the car would go flying. The handling was well up the spout aswell. Noticed a big difference when i went back to 15"s

S

smcnairn

im think im gona order spax springs and use standard dampers. Has anyone got these and what do they think before i do? i notice the drop is 70/40 how does this look?

Nad

Spax dont do springs to fit regardless of what they tell u. I am telling you now do not buy them. Just do a search and I am sure you will find the same advice elsewhere.

Nad

S

smcnairn

I phoned spax they said the do them. What about whiteline springs then what does it lower it by and where do i get them from? and how much?

K

KrissJ

I've got Tein Super Streets on mine with 17s runnin 205/40s. On A roads and the like I don't really notice the harshness anymore and I have them set quite soft, but the ride is hard compared to std. It gets a bit tiresome when in town where the roads are like a feckin patch work quilt but it doesn't bother me. Bothers the g/f though, big time, but its a small price to pay :wink:

The car handles very well with the kit. MILES better than std, but I've also got whiteline front and rear strut braces and handling kit on aswell, so I'd be pretty gutted if it handled like poo. It can skip abit under brakin goin very fast on very bumpy roads but I've only ever noticed this on 1 occasion and the road was VERY bumpy goin into the corner.

Its lowered as much as the kit will go, which is about 45mm all round, and believe me, it looks very low and very 8)

Or you could try the Bose suspension at this link (that I got from someone else that put it up in another thread). But only if you're willing to shell out $700,000 a corner :lol: :lol: !!! Extremely cool though: http://www.popsci.com/popsci/bown/2004/autotech/article/0,22221,750777,00.html

A

Anonymous

I've got whiteline shocks (koni's) on mine with 17's and the ride is hard but not unpleasent. I wouldn't say the handling really suffers with the 17's.

Nad

I think its about time we phoned Spax up and tell them about their springs!!

Nad

G

GAZ P

I've just arranged a deal to supply/fit D2 racing coilover kits.The range is huge covering most jap cars.The kits feature seperate hight & spring adjustment so spring preload is not affected, adjustable compression/rebound & pillowball upper mounts & optional spring rates.
I,ve just received a set for our demo GTI-R which I hope to fit once the car has been resprayed in December.The quality looks on par with the Tein kits I've seen but will be able to give a full comparisson once fitted.If your interested in a set for your GTI-R please PM me & I'll give you more info.

Nad

There was an issue with the D2 kit for the GTIR, not sure what it was but I take it it has been resolved now.

Nad

G

GAZ P

Yes I think there was in the past, this is the 3rd or 4th generation of this kit.All D2 kits now come with a years limited warranty & are fully rebuildable.New features on the GTI-R kit include front & rear adjustable pillow ball top mounts, adjustable rear A.R.B. mounting bracket & rubber spring seats/dust cover.