What Sealants

PulsarLee

Hi,

Could someone advise what is the best head gasket sealant to use as i was looking in halfords and several said in small print - not suitable for head gaskets???

Also, anyone know what is the best brand of sealant when putting the sump back on.

Thanks,

Lee

vss irvine

you dont use any sealant on the headgasket, it goes on dry.

i always use a pu based sealant for sumps, never had any leak.

something like tiger seal or sikaflex. silicone is gash

red reading

or just go to nissan and buy there own orange sealent for the sump etc ,but as vss said no sealent on the headgasket or the exhaust to head gasket.

Nissan sealent is about £40

PulsarLee

or just go to nissan and buy there own orange sealent for the sump etc ,but as vss said no sealent on the headgasket or the exhaust to head gasket.

Nissan sealent is about £40
Thought the online owners manual says to use sealant on the HG?? im sure you guys know better, but why would the on-line manual say this?? I guess im just paranoid that I dont have to remove the head ever again!!.....lol

Please advise,

Thanks,

Lee

red reading

the headgasket (standard) has it's own carbon/graphite sealent on it, aftermarket (like cosworth) have a vitron rubber like coating which also need's no sealent...........the manual is not always right mr.paranoid...lol

PulsarLee

you dont use any sealant on the headgasket, it goes on dry.

i always use a pu based sealant for sumps, never had any leak.

something like tiger seal or sikaflex. silicone is gash
Thanks VSS.....PU = Poly urethene?? Sikaflex grey ok?

cheers,

Lee

Trip

guys... doesn't it require to put a drop of sealant where the oilpump and block meets ?

vss irvine

yes, theres space in the pump housing for sealant to go,

run a thin bead round the pump casing. but try not to get too much inside the engine as it can clog the oil pick up