What i required for 400 bhp?

Gtirchris

Hey guys, long story short a friend of mine has a pulsar, he mis shifted from 5th to 2nd:oops:, has done a fair bit of damage to the engine and plans on going for an upgrade in power etc, he is aiming for around 400 hp, what is required please, e.g, engine wise, which turbo, fuelling including which pump?,cooling and also what is the best way to go in regards to the gearbox and clutch, any help is appreciated, many thanks.

vpulsar

Hope you've got deep pockets lol.

You'll be needing forged pistons around £400-£500
Metal head gasket around £150-£200 I think
My new turbo will do 430 bhp but was £1760 you can get a good normal one for under £800 I'd of thought
Injectors £200 ish
Plus bearings/gasket set ARP rod bolts new head bolts etc etc.
The standard gearbox should be able to cope with some mechanical sympathy applied depending on it's condition of cause, I'd have it rebuilt for peace of mind personally or do as I have and spend £3000 on a Quaife.

Cooling wise I'd fit a new copper rad and you might need a front mount intercooler, I've gone for a re-cored top mount for mine.

And of cause you will need brakes that can cope with that kind of power.

Rob

Gtirchris

You mean i hope he has deep pockets lol, thanks for the input mate, what i really should have said is what spec of turbo is needed? e.g. 3071, what size injectors? e.g. 720cc, what fuel pump? e.g. walbro or bosch044, which pistons are best for the job?, e.g. cp, mahle etc. As for the gearbox, i don't think it has had an easy life, and mis shifting it won't have done it any favours, I think a quaife might be the way to go tbh.

vpulsar

I think you pretty much know what you need mate, my new turbo is a GTX2863 but a normal 2871 or 3071 would be a good choice the latter being a bit more leggy so up to him really mate.

red reading

700cc, Bosch 044,standard fpr, 3071 for less torque, 2871 at much higher boost will net more torque at the same bhp....and a good clutch like ap racing or helix hd...along with all the above said before.