What flywheel?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a lightened flywheel somtime soon. What would you all recomend?

So far the lightest one I've seen is the TODA which weighs in at 4.8kgs. But I was looking for something slightly lighter than this.

I saw a post up a while ago mentioning that someone had a 4.1kg one. Don't suppose you know what this was?

Dale

S

Sirnixalot

it think toda is the lightest but too light can make drivability a bit worse and you have to make a concious effort to rev match with the lighter flywheel or you may stall.....of course this only applys to traffic and cruising around.

S

Sirnixalot

taken form Jun's site

High Street Ultra Light
SR20DET(PULSAR) 5.2kg 2001M-N010 5.0kg 2010M-N010

Taken from Toda's site

Pulsar GTI-R (RNN14) SR20DET 4.8 kg

A

Anonymous

Yeah that's the stats that I read as well.

Well I'm thinking 4.1 kg won't be too un-driveable. Anything lighter and I think maybe it will though.

I'll keep looking.

Cheers
Dale

GINGA

You might not want to go to light on the flywheel as Nikko said as it can effect the driving quite alot, I read on many threads on many forums that alot of people are changing back to standard weight flywheels as they don't like the way the car drives with the lightened ones fitted :eek:

ex-gtir

i have a 4kg >4.1kg flywheel and i will say i hate it too light doesnt pull through gears properly
will change back to standard soon
mike

S

Sirnixalot

si thats weird...but thats actual fact and i just have the manufactureres data....so we are at a stalemate lol

interesting tohugh....did you have the ultra light correct?

i am just planning on getting the high street one myself

Si..

sirnixalot,

yeah its the ultra lightweight, i bought it off my tuner, he bought it for his car and when he took the one off that he had on, he could tell just by looking at his that it wasnt a std flywheel so he weighed it and it weighed 4.1kg's so he weighed the jun one and it was the same, so he'd wasted his money :lol: , and i bought it off him :D , i just took his word for it, that it was the weight he said. i have seen the stat's on jun's site, and its got me a bit confused too. :?

si.

A

Anonymous

Ok, I've sent Jun an email queirying this. Doubt I'll here anything back but it's worth a try anyhow.

So how do you find the Jun to drive? Would you say it was too light or not?

Dale

Si..

unfortunately i cant help you there mate, the car's still off the road undergoing it's overhaul :cry:

S

str_motorsport

i have a jun ultralight flywheel....bought it in japan , but i have never weighted it...
i am really happy with it!!!!idle is perfect, and the car pulls trouht gears so quckly!!!!i am really impressed!!!
i think the lightest is the fidanza one, approx 4,1 kg, you can find it in the usa for approx350$ , but the application list does not mention a specific gti-r flywheel, only sr20det, even if here a guy has one fitted and is ok!!!but i preferred the jun one to be sure it will fit!!!
hope this helps

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I'm still on the look out for this flywheel. I've been searching for ages now for a good price on the Toda. The cheapest I can get it for is £247 from direct from Toda themselves.

Being a right tight arse I've been trying not to accept that this is the best price I can get on one. But I may have to give in and just spend the money.

Have any of you guys ever had a better price on the Toda flywheel? If so where from?

Cheers
Dale

Nad

Depends what u r using the car for. Lightened flywheels will give faster repsonce but that is also when going up an incline it will slow faster as there is less momentum keeping it going. I am sticking with the standard weight OS Giken cause doing hillclimbing it will keep the car going better.

Nad

A

Anonymous

Well it'll be mainly for the quarter miles really.

I think I'm pretty much decided on the Toda. I don't think 4.8 kgs is too light.

It's just a case of finding somewhere to get it for a good price.

A

Anonymous

Not too sure on that one. I can't even find anywhere that sells the OS flywheels let alone can tell me the weight of 'em!

It wouldn't surprise me if they were only standard weight though.

Tryin to find places that do the Toda (for a good price) is hard enough!